Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 months after lumbar disectomy

fsoftballffsoftball Posts: 19
edited 04/25/2015 - 5:25 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am 6 months out from having a L4-l5 disectomy for severe sciatic pain down my left leg. I was able to stand for only 2 or 3 minutes and then either had to sit or squat to relieve the pressure. The surgery was a success has the sciatic pain was relieved immediately. I was told to walk as much as possible after the surgery and told no bending ,lifting or t My recovery went twisting for 4 months. My recovery went great as I had no pain when walking. At my 4 month meeting my surgeon said I was doing great and to return to my normal life,he said he was not going to send me to physical therapy because i was doing so well.

I week later I started having minor pain in my lower right part of my back and pain in my groins when excruciating pain in my groins when going from a sitting position to a standing position. The pain is only in the lower right side of my back ,but the groin pain goes from I side to the other every other day or so. My surgeon decided that i need to go to PT after all to stretch the muscles I didn't use for 4 months. My therapists said my psoas musckles was ight and need to be stretch out. I have been at for 5 weeks and have seen very minimal improvement and am getting very frustrated since the weather is warming up and I am usually a very active person.

I have read a recovery story that was somewhat similiar to my situation with the groin pain after surgery and it took the gentleman 9 months for the proin pain to go away. I was wonder if anyone else has had similiar pain after surgery and would like to share their experience . I have heard that it could take up to a year to completely heal after surgery, but my surgeon said I would be golfing by May when I had the surgery and as of now I do not see that happening.

Thanks in advance for any replies