Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI What is it?

I am sure that 99.9% of the members here have heard the term MRI. Hopefully, almost that same amount knows what it is.
But, I just wanted to give you some more facts about MRIs and show they are not all created equally.

MRI - Magnetic Resonance Imaging. is a scanner that has a very strong magnet. The patient lies in the unit and radio waves are used to send signals to the body and then back. Then they are converted into images by a computer attached to the MRI unit.

The major differences in MRI is in the strength of the magnet itself.

MRI's have been around about 20 years. The strength is determined by a T value.

The strength can range from a .025T to the newest 3T strength. The units themselves can also range in size, bore opening and open bore. The 3T MRI can take images faster and clearer than slower units. However, there is a price to pain. The 3T generate more heat and are noisier than smaller units.

The older MRI units were generally no stronger than 1T. Those units also had a very small bore opening, so that the patient was very cramped inside. Take a look at some of my humor in Ways to enjoy your mri

Today, the standard is 1.5T, which has a much wider bore opening. My last 8 or 10 MRIs were done on this type of machine. I could almost turn my body around inside the tube and the upper portion of the tube was a good distance away.

Then you have the true open-bore unit. This is where you generally stand up and the machine is open on all 4 sides. Those machines started out a .2T for a long time, then slowly increased to a .7T and now some units may be at 1.25T. So, overall, the image quality of these units is not as crisp as those with 1.5T or greater strength.

You can look at the MRI strengths like this:

< 1.0T Smart Car
1.25T Volkswagen Beetle
1.50T Honda Accord
3.00 Toyota Land Cruiser
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ....MRI....Very funny!

And I didn't understand the T value strengths before.
    You made it easy to understand
    Thanks for the info!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History