Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Soo many meds

nmacnnmac Posts: 112
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:19 AM in Pain Medications
I recently had surgery and have several pain meds to take daily. I am on percoset every 4 hrs as needed, Aleve 3x/day, antinaseau Phenagan 3x/day and flexeral 3x per day as needed.I also take meds for HBP. I am having a hard time deciding which is the best mixture for pain relief. Should I take all of them as directed? In the past I have always tried to use least amount of pain meds that I can function on. The pain from surgery is much more intense. I am concerned about taking so much Aleve and percocet together. I have tried aleve alone for a day and what a mistake that was. Recovery is 4-6 weeks and I am 2 weeks post op. Suggestions would be apprieciated. My NS is not very good at giving direction he says he trusts that I will not overmedicate myself. I hope this makes sense.
Nancy
Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.
advertisement

Comments

• Take them as directed.....
  • Always take your meds as directed unless the doc says you can try some sort of different schedule, I'm surprised your needing Aleve when on Percocet!!! Be careful with the Aleva it can really eat up your tummy!!!!! Being on 4 meds really isn't that much compared to some of the ppl. on here. Best of luck to ya!

• I've had 35 surgeries. I used to try to "tough it out" but a nurse told me that it slows down healing. Since then I use the meds my doc prescribes, I heal much faster since that day and get off the surgery pain meds much sooner than I did back then.

• When in doubt take all of your medication to a pharmacist and ask his advice on them. Accidents happen and things can get written down or deciphered incorrectly. MD's are known for horrible hand writting.

Julie
  • My Great grandma died and we have to travel for 10 hours so I decided to take all of the meds until we get back. If I was staying at home I would try to cut back but the stress of travel will be difficult enough.
    NANCY
    Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.
  • I'm so sorry to hear about your great-grandmother. I hate that you have lost her, but also that you will have to travel such a great distance while being in pain. Keep up with your medication because pain and depression are enemies of one another and you are the one to get caught in their war!

My prayers are with you in your time of sadness and pain...
    Take care
advertisement