Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does baclofen pump really work a lot better

MikethepikeMMikethepike Posts: 244
edited 09/02/2015 - 5:59 PM in Pain Medications
than taking baclofen or rally?
I can't believe no one on here doesn't have a baclofen pump.
Someone must have or knows someone that does

• MikethepikeMMikethepike Posts: 244
    edited 08/30/2015 - 1:55 AM
    i was hoping to find someone that uses a baclofen pump.
    edited 09/02/2015 - 7:13 PM
    does anyone know someone that uses a baclofen pump?
  • Lauren79LLauren79 Posts: 3
    edited 09/04/2015 - 4:57 AM
    Hi, I had baclofen and dilaudid in my pump about 10 years ago, it only has morphine now. Baclofen in the pump worked MUCH better for me than taking it orally. The dose didn't have to be nearly as high, either because of how pumps work. Do you already have a pump?

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • i am thinking about having one.
    Did you have a lot of muscle tightness?
    I wake up every morning and all of my muscles are tight.
    The muscles that bother me the most are
    My stomache ,lower back, and upper back.
  • Yes, I have a lot of problems with muscle tightness in my neck, upper, mid, and low back. I get bad muscle spasms pretty often too. Most of it's because of damage from the 9 back surgeries I've had.

Has your doc talked about doing a pump trial? If so, I recommend it to see if a pump will help you. Honestly, I don't know what I'd do without my pump. I tried oral meds, patches & just about every pain treatment available and nothing helped as much as the pump does.
  • my insurance will pay it, but starting in January I'll have to pay for the refill.
    Also how long between refills?
    Did you also do the morphine at the same time?
  • I honestly don't know how much the med refills are because they've always been covered 100% by insurance. Will you have to pay for just the med and your doctor to do the refill...or just the med? That will make a big difference in how much it will be.

Refill frequency depends on the pump size, meds, and your med rate. Right now, I have a 20mL pump and am at 85 days between refills, it changes sometimes if I need rate increases. I used to have refills every 7 weeks when I had 2 meds in it and a different rate. Pumps do come in a bigger size (I think it's 40mL and have seen it, there is hardly any visible size difference), which will let you go much longer between refills...I've always had a 20 so I don't know if it's cheaper to get the med for a bigger pump or if there isn't a difference. That's a good question for your doctor.

I've worked with 3 PM doctors over the years because of living in different cities and meds have been changed a few times to see what will work best. I'll list the changes to make it easier to compare each since there are several.
    1. Morphine
    2. Dilaudid
    3. Dilaudid & Baclofen
    4. Dilaudid & Baclofen & Clonidine
    5. Dilaudid
    6. Morphine...that's the only pump med I'm on now

Oddly, especially considering I'm only 36, is a good friend I went to school with also has chronic pain and got a pump 2 months ago. Her doc is first trying her on a newer non-narcotic pain med for pumps called Prialt. They're still slowly increasing her dose, so she won't know if it's helping for another month. I don't know much about it but it supposedly works well for a lot of people. My PM doc uses it often but we're leaving mine alone for now.

As with all pain meds, pumps don't completely end the pain but work better than oral meds or patches. I have much better pain control with it than I ever did on very high doses of slow release morphine and other meds.
  • I have a Medtronic pump with Dilaudid and Bupivicaine but I take oral Baclofen. Yes it gives me better pain control than the ER medications and I go in every 3 months since I have a 40ml pump. I still have a lot of pain but my functionality is much better than when I didn't have the pump installed. Since then I've had other spinal problems crop up and fortunately my doctor works with me and has titrated the dose to help me get by.
    Ol' Spiney...Microdiscectomy L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central disc herniation L4-S1, sciatic nerve damage, retrolisthesis, epidural fibrosis, facet arthropathy, severe DDD & OA.FBSS- Medtronic SynchroMed II pump.
  • i might go with the pump. If I'll have to think about it more before my next doctors appointment .
    edited 09/19/2015 - 1:50 AM
    has worked better with the pump. My concern was with muscle tightness .
  • I can't comment on the pump, although I've read so many issues of pumps and problems. Baclofen you have to be really careful with, since if there's an issue, sudden discontinuation of baclofen is B-A-D.
    When I went to a physiatrist (have you seen one? They're the best), he discussed with me Botox injections for my spasticity. I honestly don't think I'm that bad, but I'm heading down that road. Has anyone discussed that option with you? If I truly considered it, I'd research the heck out of it first!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

edited 09/23/2015 - 9:12 AM
    does the morphine work better?