Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Advice & Recommendations Please

Hi all,

I've been battling my chronic lower back and nerve pain for a while and I just can't seem to find someone who will help me. I moved to Arizona 6 months ago and I was really looking forward to the fact that pain clinics were everywhere but now it seems like a total nightmare to me. Sitting here, I'm in a decent amount of pain and there's rain coming in so I know it's going to get even worse. I want to curl up into a ball and cry between the pain and frustration. But that's another topic for another forum section.

I've been going to a pain clinic in Gilbert, AZ for 6 months solid and I'm not very happy with the treatment there. I've gone through three steroid injections for my leg and now am going to be having facet nerve burns (I think that's the name) in my back on Monday but I am not as hopeful as I should be. I feel like this doctor is out for my wallet half the time and not for my pain relief. I want to find a new pain center here that really cares about their patients and will work with me and listen to me on what works and what doesn't. Before I had my injections, I was upfront about everything that has worked in the past and what hasn't worked but it's like talking to a brick wall. Also, I know this sounds silly but the doctor really intimidates me. I am on pain medication and nerve medication but the pain medication doesn't work quite as well as it used to and the doctor ignores me whenever I try to talk about it. He tried moving me over to percocet but it makes me sick, and even though I told him that, he still tried it out and I ended up throwing it up and having to take more etc. etc. He moved me back to my original medicine but as I said, it doesn't work as well but he won't help there at all.

I've looked through the Spine-Health recommendations etc but there's not a lot in my area as to recommendations for doctors. I've already had surgery and it is strong but the chronic pain that goes along with it is killing me. I am 29 but I feel 80 and can't do much. I'm not working right now to take care of my back so we can have a baby and then go back to work.

To sum it all up I would like to know if anyone has any practice recommendations in my area (Gilbert/Mesa, AZ) and also if anyone has had this nerve burn procedure with good results. I am just so lost looking at google over and over trying to find a decent place to go to - they all make the same claims and I'm so nervous about changing my clinic because I know there is a stigma associated with it.

Thanks in advance.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    It is not easy moving to and adjusting to a new area. It's noted as one of the top sources of stress.
    Then with chronic pain and search for doctors.....it seems extra pressure and frustration and I would think effect you emotionally, also.....as chronic pain tends to effect us emotionally.
    I would think another high source of stress.

When my pain is increased and or flaring, it's difficult for me to think things through effectively. But I'm working with same doctor several years and have learned to trust him.

Working with new doctor can be stressful.

It seems your doctor is trying to treat you.....meds and the future nerve burn treatment.
    To me, that sounds like a doctor taking your situation very seriously....as he considers what is best for you, also he considering your age and treatments for best possible future.

When you needed different med and he prescribed one that didn't set well....I've noticed sometimes after being on med awhile, my body adjusts. Doctor may have been waiting for you to adjust.....but of course, vomiting does no one any good, but then your doctor discontinued it.

With my experiences of treatments and medications to relieve my pain...it is trial....and try again. It may take time for right combination.

To me, six months seems to be a short time with you and doctor adjusting to each other....and the two of you working towards effective relief for your painful situation.

May be talking with a therapist about all your stress, that could help relieve or lessen your anxiety so that energy can be better put to use for controlling your pain. My therapy helped me immensely!

There is a post on this site ......the blend. That may also be helpful to you in coping with chronic pain.

I wish you the very best!

Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History