Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How to find neuro appointment

I ve been diagnosed with c3-c4 narrowing, c4-c5 severe narrowing, c5-c6 myelomalacia

I am having a hard time to get an appointment with a neurosurgeon. My case seem very serious. I cannot find an appointment. Does it take a long time to get a neuro surgeon appointment?
MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.

• Hi Sukhre . Yes, sometimes it take a month or longer to see a Neurosurgeon. Have you tried looking for an appointment with an Orthopedic surgeon? Orthopedic surgeons can do the same surgery as a Neurosurgeon can do. Is your primary care physician helping you make the appointment ? If he's not, try contacting him for help. How long do you consider to be long for an appointment?
  • to see a neurosurgeon but I specifically made an appointment with a guy reputed to be top notch and highly rated and published. I think one of your considerations might be the type of symptoms you are having.......Some are more urgent and might require a more persistent approach.

One thing you can do is have your primary contact the doc you are trying to make an appointment with. Sometimes the help of a primary can be invaluable. Especially if your primary recognizes that a serious and immediate response is necessary. Good luck. I really do understand your frustration. Another approach - you can make an appointment with a doctor more immediately available and also make a second appointment with another doc for a second opinion knowing it will take longer to see him or her.....Just a "work around." Keep us posted. Kathy
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    My neurosurgeons appointment was almost 2 months away(1 and 1/2 from now). Neurologist sent me a mail saying narrowing is mostly compensated. Nothing urgent. The report seems serious "C4-C5 narrowing, C5-C6 severe narrowing, possible myelomalacia, C6-C7 severe narrowing and flattening". My primary care does not seem to worry much either. He says "possible myelomalacia means possible not 100%". I have pain in my shoulder/head and numbness & swallowing difficulty on my throat. Overall quality (pain &numbness) of life is so poor I took 50% time off from work during last three months.

Should I avoid carrying any weights? Any precautions?

PCP mentioned that surgery may not be only treatment. What other treatments? physical therapy? traction? Are they effective? I read somewhere that neurosurgeons are not aware that real success rate for 1 level surgery is only 70% (10% needs a redo or surgery at another level, i m not sure what other 20% are,I guess no improvement from surgery). What are the real options? Do surgery and take the risk?
  • I must have gotten lucky because I was in to see a neurosurgeon within 2 days of my MRI but I did have a spinal cord injury so that may have sped up the process. Have you asked if you can be placed on their cancellation list?
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    You mentioned spinal cord injury. Sometimes that means myelomalacia (MRI showing something permanent). OR got into an injury?
  • Well I have a spinal cord contusion which they were hoping would clear up but I haven't been that lucky so they believe that it will be permanent. I broke my C2 so part of my C2 shifted into my spinal cord.