Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Surgery C5-6 tomorrow

Scheduled for ACDF surgery on C5-6 tomorrow due to disk herniation pressing on nerve. Trying to stay positive through the anxiety.

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! Hopefully soon, you will be on the road to recovery & healing.
    Keep us posted.
  • kmn1211kkmn1211 Posts: 16
    edited 05/19/2015 - 2:28 AM
    Thanks Cathy.....it's nice to be able to communicate with people who understand.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    edited 05/19/2015 - 3:08 AM
    I've had 2 neck fusion surgeries. Let me know if I can answer any questions or concerns you have.
    Have you read the sticky note about how to prepare for surgery & must haves? There are many good suggestions there.
  • Hi, i am 6 weeks Post Op 2 level ACDF, There are many days that I felt like I didn't even have surgery, you will do fine. Your wait is almost over and that's the hardest part. Just focus on the recovery starting tomorrow. Good luck and let us know how you do when you back online.
  • I did read the 'must haves' and a lot of other information on here that has helped me.
    Thanks for the support.
    I'll be in touch.
  • I hope you are doing okay!
    You're right! This wait is killing me!
  • rtconant1rrtconant1 Posts: 348
    edited 05/19/2015 - 3:18 PM
    I had my surgery last September. I will be thinking of you. Im sure everything will turn out fine.
    Tracie C
  • Thinking of you kmn1211. Just had discectomy with c6-7 fusion last wednesday and boy am I doing so much better. Fist 2 days were reakly rough. Hard to move , throat sore, spasms in neck. But today not even 1 week post. Throat is no longer sore,Eating normal diet, taking much less pain meds( initially I was taking meds pretty regularly to stay ahead of pain). Still using ice packs occassionally for neck spams. Give your self time. Take naps if you need them. I hope you are doing well. PM me if you have any particular questions. Lisa
  • Last night was Rough. Stayed over night in hospital. Hard get comfortable. Pain on each side of neck and sore throat. was on morphine all night. It's hard to change positions because my head feels like it weighs 1000 pounds according to my neck!

My surgeon said that the first 24 hours will be the worst and he's right!
    This morning I was out of bed walking the halls with my hubby.
    I'm feeling pretty good. Today when I get home I'll be on 1/2 a percocet because anything stronger makes vomit.

Tomorrow is a new day!
  • Welcome to the other side. YES first few days is rough and you'll feel better and better each day, but also get ready for some bad days and set back, that's normal for our recovery. Happy recovery and take things slow!

• Still can't get comfortable. I dont know where this headache came from. Hope this is all part of the healing process
  • Hi... they pumped so much medication into you body during the surgery who knows what caused the headache, could be lack of sleep or lack of solid food too. Hang in there, the worst is almost over. Getting comfortable takes time, especially with a collar, I found out I adjust my collar differently when I sit, or lay down.

Don't forget to eat, you might not feel like it because of your throat, but your body needs nutrition to heal, moving forward you might not feel hungry because you won't do much during recovery but you still need to force yourself to eat good food daily.

So glad you surgery is over, take it easy and rest rest rest! we are pulling for you.

• Thanks for the Support.
    Today is a tad better.
    Forcing myself to eat. My throat is not as sore today, so it will be much easier.
  • Hi kmn1211 Glad to see your doing better. :) I'm going in on Tuesday, May 26th for a 4-level ACDF C3-C7. I cant wait to have this surgery and get it over with. I hope you continue to heal and have a great future to look forward to.

• Thanks for sharing your post-op experience! I'm getting an ACDF for C5-C6 in June, so I'm anxious to hear more about how it goes.
  • I am having 3 levels plus removal of C4. Afraid but resigned. Hopefully soon we will be on the other side...healing. Healing thoughts and prayers for all.

• One thing that makes this post op difficult is I can't take the pain pills because they make me sick. They prescribed an anti nausea pill to take 1/2 before, but I'm so afraid that I may vomit and I definitely don't want to be doing THAT right now!
    I have been taking Xtra strength Tylenol.
    Today, day 4, I feel better than yesterday and it seems like everyday I feel a little better. The headache is gone.
    I feel little pings and pangs of pain lower than c5-6 and don't know if it's coming from the work they did on that or some other problem or not. I'll have to wait and see.
    If I sit for too long, I feel it and have to go lay down. I'm very guarded and maintaining a stiff posture.
    We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Icollins - it sounds like you are having the same thing done as me! You will be fine
  • Good luck on your surgery tomorrow! I have a C5-C6 acdf surgery in 1 month and I am very nervous too, but we will get through it !!
    Monica Gomez :)
  • Tomorrow you will be safely on the other side. You will do great! You have all of our support. Please check back in soon.