Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm upset, I went to the PM dr. and he tested my reflexes and they were AWFUL in my arms...Well, he said they were good for him, but I remember where I was 3 1/2 years ago and my reflexes were AWESOME! They'd hit that little hammer thingy and my arms and legs would react fast! Probably why i was so great at karate! :(

What the heck is going on? Has all this crud with my neck weakened my reflexes, cause I don't understand...

• could be a combination of your neck issues and the meds....just ask your doctor what he thinks....good luck hon...Miki
  • I am pretty sure it's from my injuries and all of this going on for so long and not treated, just band-aided...I know it wasn't the meds, I hadn't taken any that day and I usually don't right before a dr.'s appointment so that they can see what's going on with me fully, even though there's pain with the meds.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm upset my reflexes have declined so much, I know they're good enough for his purposes, but I feel like I've lost so much that this one extra thing is nagging the heck out of me...
  • Fancypants,
    I know it is frustrating to see things going on that we have no control over, I would ask your doctor what he thinks about your reflexes. In my case I have myelopathy, fancy word for spinal cord damage. I have hyperreflexia, over reacting reflexes, and Babinski reflex, that one is kind of neat, when you scratch the bottom of my foot , my toes go upwards instead downwards + other symptoms. I am not saying you have any damage, could just be some presure on your spinal cord in the cervical area. Hope that things get better for you in the future.

• Nancyfancypants,

My reflexes declined in 2 weeks. I went from normal to absent in my right arm and hyper-reflexia in my left. By the time I saw the 2nd surgeon I also had that wierd finger one (I forget the name) that signals spinal cord damage and most of my leg and foot reflexes were abnormal as well. That was 4 months after my first surgery!

The good news is that 5 week after my surgery most of these are returning! My arms are still the worst but they went south pretty quickly. Look out for muscle loss and weakness; any sign of these and you need to get your butt to the doc asap. Don't mess around with it, okay?

What kind of karate did you do? I am a black tip in Tae Kwon Do and studies Ju Jitsu.....those were the days!

• I did shotokan, I loved it...I was damned good too!

I don't know if I have mylepathy, although I strongly think that I do, it's like my ortho speaks a different language and the CT scan after my discogram wasn't readable, there wasn't enough dye for contrast...I have noticed that I have gone downhill significantly in the past 3 1/2 years...maybe it is all the physical, mental and emotional wear and tear. And these reflexes have me worried, I think my legs are fine but he didn't check those...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859

Since I have been through 3 Cervical surgeries (ACDF) any time I have a flare up that we think may be cervical related, my doctor first does two tests

1) Strength - Fingers, Hands, Arms
    2) Reflexes - Both Mechanical (normal hammer whack) and
    also sharp/dull needle testing

Based on those results, my PM doctor pretty much knows the next step. With the cervical problems you have, I am sure you have in addition to nerve problems so muscular problems. Combination of all of these can easily led to dulled relexes.

The more I read your posts, the more I see that you need some immediate relief soon and that appears to be in the form of cervical surgery.

Best part of that, is cervical surgeries, even 3 levels are very successful.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I was just seen 2 weeks ago and had no reflexs when they hit my elbows. They tried a few more times no responce. So far my legs are good. But i have been loosing muscle in both of my arms. As the other have said watch out for lose of muscle. Take good care of yourself
  • If I was to give any advise it would be not to wait around with cervical spine issues......My symptoms after a car accident did not become painful until almost 10 years later...I had the usual neck pain and crick in the neck feeling off and on during that time but thought nothing of it.....in 2004 the arm pain started and for 2 years my pcp told me it was stress....I found another pcp who did the xray and mri and sent me asap to an ortho spine surgeon who did surgery immediatley. Now I have perm nerve damage, muscle atrophy, parathesis.....fused C4-C7 and on top of that had to have a revision surgery 5 months after the acdf.....don't put anything off and get more than 1 opinion.

This discussion has been closed.