Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/l5 surgery

Carole-annCCarole-ann Posts: 3
edited 05/19/2015 - 6:05 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi I have just had surgery one week ago today on l4/l5 . Everything was great no pain then on way home serious pain in my right lower buttocks to behind knee . Then it became fine for a day. And today it's back . I can walk and when I walk like Frankinstine there's no pain . I have however had real pains in back and leg . Foot and knee for three years previous and walked like the Hunchback . Could the pain be as I am now walking straight ... Please help.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    You really need to talk with your surgeon re your symptoms.

If anyone here were to comment on what is their normal.....it not your normal.

Only your doctor can tell you that.

I wish you very best!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I'm getting very discouraged. My surgery was April 27 (3.5 weeks ago). I feel I was doing better at my one week appt. than I will be @ my 4week appt. I excpected pain @ 1weeks but I still have it & I'm afraid to ask for or take anymore narcotics. I've been taking them all this time, although cutting back as I know I need to. I'm allowed to walk all I want which was very encouraging to me in the beginning because I was very physically active before so in my mind I thought "great I'll walk a few times a day" they said short/often walks. But what's scaring me now is that the sciatic pain on the right has come back & it seems as though the walking increases that. One of the very things my goal in surgery to get rid of due to pain & holding me back from activity has come back. How long will this go on. I just want to get my life back. I'm scared, discouraged & getting depressed
    . Any advise would be helpful. Thank s for reading.
  • I had an L4/L5 microdiscectomy done in 2009 and I remember the sciatic pain in my upper right buttock during recovery. I felt it off an on for a few months afterwards. I also remember the Frankenstein walk you mention. It wasn't disabling by any means but it was certainly aggravating when it would flare up. I sort of used it as a gauge to slow down when it flared up.

What I was told by my surgeon was that though the surgery was minimally invasive, the nerves still need to recover and they need to heal. They went from being compressed by a herniated disc to being free. It's shocking to the nerve and it takes time for it to heal and adjust. I'm back to having problems in this area again which I am discussing in another portion on this forum under Back/Neck Surgery with the topic as L4 L5 S1 Fusion Coming Soon.

It is something you really need to discuss with your surgeon though so he has a record of your pain and he/she can provide you with the information, and medications, you may need in your particular case. There are no 2 cases the same and as Savage mentioned , there is no normal. There are no 2 people that will heal the same either.

Please discuss your pain and discomfort with your surgeon and I wish you well in your recovery.
    Sept 11, 2009 L4/L5 Microdiscectomy
    April 12, 2013 C6/C7 ACDF
    May 27, 2015 L4/L5 ALIF with PLIF
    Too many cervical and lumbar injections to list, including RF Ablation C3-C6 on the right and left.
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 05/21/2015 - 5:09 PM
    Recovery is a roller coaster and pain comes and goes. Hang in there and speak to your surgeon at your checkups.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1