Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

allergic reaction ????

Has anyone ever had a allergic reaction to the cage they use in spinal fusion l4l5s1 ????
cathy palma

• has anyone ever had a allergic reaction to the cage they use in a spinal fusion l4 l5 s1 ?????????
    cathy palma
  • Just wanted to give everyone a update I'm going on my year anniversary this month I have yet to get off the predinisone my adrenal glands have stopped working and I now have allergies from being on it so long I can handle the sinus part but now because no one believed me and it took so long I am allergic to all plastics  and I have to wear a medical alert bracelet and as most people know that's all they use in hospitals so I'm a little nervous my Dr's will write about this since I am the second noted case I'm sure there are more if I could reach just one person please get tested before any surgery thank you 
    cathy palma
  • Good Lord Cathy!
    Allergies to all plastics?

The bracelet is a very good idea!

I plan to get one as my injuries and allergies are hidden.
    Our Moderator Kimmy had an allergic reaction to the nickle in her hardware!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Kimmy72KKimmy72 Posts: 1,767
    edited 09/13/2016 - 9:24 AM
    Still working on this one, William...man, it looks like I'm going to become a human pin cushion pretty soon.  I may also be allergic to the other metallic components in my hardware, as well.  :(

Cathy--you poor woman!!  What you said about the prednisone...it makes a LOT of sense why I felt SO much better during my last taper!!  I'm sorry you had to suffer the lasting effects because your case was tough to figure out.  From what I understand about my cages, they are a carbon polymer, but have tantalum "marker" dots in them--something else to be tested for...ACK!!   
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • Yes I  would be tested the only problem is there is no test you have to find out the company that made yours and you can find that out through your orthopedic and they have to send you a sample or your immunologist and They will tested on your skin I made a video and it's on YouTube all you have to look at is allergic reaction to the spinal surgery and you should find it don't suffer it's horrible
    cathy palma
  •  And William I don't understand why they don't make it mandatory at least in the state of New Jersey to be tested before any surgery at all I have a friend who is allergic to nickel and they found out only after I told her what happened to me and that was after her second surgery when she went for her third she was tested and they finally got it right after a year of healing she's finally out of the wheelchair and walking and this was for knee surgery we are placing foreign objects in our body they should be tested before hand
    cathy palma
  • WandaMWWandaM Warner Robins, GAPosts: 1
    I had a 2 level fusion on C5, C6 ion July 3, 2013. I month after my surgery my blood pressure spiked to 236/134. I went to my primary care physician and he kept me in his office until he could get it under control. He administered Cloidine and I was in his office for 3 hrs. before it was normal. Over the past 3 years I have been struggling with these  issues...my throat swells and I haven't been able to swallow well  since my surgery, severe fatigue, severe headaches, nausea, Ihypersensitivity to smells, metallic taste in mouth, hands and feet burning at least 3 hours of the day, strong electrical pulses starting from between my shoulder blades down my arms and legs, lower back spasms, muscles ache all the time. Have a real struggle when highlighting my hair and insomnia. I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow 9/30/2016 and Neuroligist Tuesday 10/4/2016. I didn't have any of these issues before my surgery and I have felt like my body is constantly fighting itself. It feels like I have a fever all the time. I am on nemerous medications trying to keep myself going. I am exahausted. 
    So my only thought is that I may be allergic to the Titianum plate. I will keep you posted as to what the outcome is, I hope this information will help someone else that may be experiencing the same or similar symptoms!
  • wow I hope you got some answers I really wish they would do testing before any surgery :(
    cathy palma
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Hello,WandaM !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History