Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this the way it is suppose to go??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
The first couple weeks after surgery were big time pain med days. Then for awhile, I hardly used the pain meds but was just walking a little bit and not doing much. I am now 8 weeeks, walking a mile twice a day and am gradually doing things like shaving my thighs for a few days then building in putting on and tieing my tennis shoes, building in weaning off my brace 40 min. 3 times a day.......at this point I find my butt burns and my low back feels it a little and I need to go back to my Narco once, sometimes twice daily. Some days I don't need it at all but especially the tieing shoes, has my butt burning and I need it again.
I guess my question is.....Is it normal to need the pain meds each time I try new things or am I doing something wrong??

• You're doing a lot more than I was at 8 weeks post-op from my three level fusion. I was still using my walker, waking up at 3am to take more pain meds, and only walking our 50 yard driveway. I am now 21 weeks post-op and still do 2 percocets per day. But I do walk without my walker lol:) (god I hope so..lol) I walk 1-1/2 miles a day, and was just released at 20 weeks post-op to start PT. NS wanted to wait until I was MOSTLY fused before PT.

But you are absolutely normal,...patience, patience, patience,...this is a long one.... good luck and feel good... You're ok
  • thanks lynnsy....I wanna ride the ATV like you!!! If I'm doing better than you did at 8 weeks and you're riding the ATV at 21 weeks, I'm finding that very reassuring. I was just hoping to pick up some momentum and ditch the pain meds.....ahhhhh, patience what a struggle :D