Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Foot is numb again!

AprillynnAAprillynn Posts: 2
Hi! First let me say this site is wonderful. So much information and its lifesaving to hear stories of others going through what you are going through and to see what works for them and their experiences ... Thank you all!

A little background on me: I herniated the 3 lowest lumbar discs in August 2010. Major problem was that I was 8 months pregnant at the time, it happened as I was getting out of the car - the extra weight just too much for my back. For the following 3 weeks I was given Tylenol, the sciatic pain was indescribable - childbirth was a breeze! I couldn't wait for that epidural. After I gave birth I was given hydrocodone (I was breastfeeding too), I could barely function - pain was terrible. I was so depressed not knowing what was wrong with me. I finally got an MRI done Dec 2010, confirmed the 3 herniated discs, severe spinal stenosis L4/5, nerve pinched at L3/4, and DDD. I was able to sort of walk now - 5 months after the injury. I was given PT which didn't help the pain or my mobility. My left foot was numb and I lost strength, but I returned to work Jan 2011, now with just 800mg Advil to survive as I couldn't function on the hydrocodone. I was referred to a PM doctor - who told me I was not a candidate for surgery and to continue to walk and take the Advil. Gradually I learned to live with the limp and the leg/back pain until 2012 when the sciatic pain started on my right side. By then I had different medical insurance and was referred to another PM doctor. I had 2 ESI injections 2012/2013 which seemed to help. I was also given meloxicam because the Advil was starting to mess up my stomach. I was given the shocking nerve test on my left foot and confirmed the nerve damage, by then it was 3 years since the injury - still no mention of surgery. Then at the beginning of 2014 the pain started to fade away - no more leg pain! My foot was still numb and I still had less strength than the other but it was manageable. I had some back pain but it was less frequent. I got off the meloxicam and didn't take any regular pain
meds for a good 8 months . That all ended this month. The lower back pain started again and now my left foot is a lot more numb than normal. I can tell this time is different - as it hurts when I walk - which before the back pain was eased when I could walk. I am back on the meloxicam. I am getting a new MRI next week and we go from there. I am overweight - and that probably is a major factor - since the injury - now almost 5 years ago - I've gained 40 pounds.

I have 2 questions:: from your experiences:

1)Does a numb foot (keep in mind it's always been kind of numb for almost 5 years) mean the nerve is pinched again or am I just dealing with nerve damage?
2) Does numbness mean I will lose more strength in my leg too? I have no pain in my leg/foot - only numbness, as far as I can tell I'm not losing strength but stressing if that will change.

I can live with the pins and needles numbness - but I have to have the strength to walk - I work 50+ hours a week on my feet the whole time and chase after a 4 year old at home.
Thank you for any feed back.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    edited 05/24/2015 - 1:45 PM
    Your questions are very good ones....and need to be discussed with your PM doctor, for his guidance.

Anyone on this site could only explain their experiences....which are not yours..even if sounded to match, everyone is very different and treatments, causes....are very individual.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History