Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Placental stem cell injection

I suffer/ suffered from an annular tear in my L5-S1 for many years. I started seeing a back Dr in 2011. I had MRI's, discogram, PT, acupuncture. I received cortizone shots that lasted from 2 weeks to 6 months. In Sept 14 the insurance company denied further shots saying I did not get more than 50% relief from them. Dr recommended I get a new procedure called placental stem cell injection. The procedure is considered "experimental" by the insurance Co. but is performed all the time in Europe. I had the injection 12/19/14. The pain was a 12 for the first week. 30 days post op I walked a 5k. 5 months post op I feel great. I am back working out, and running. We will be doing a 6 month post op MRI in June. I am a 53 yo male, in fair shape prior, good health. I will keep you posted on the outcome of the MRI. Dr says he'll do a write up on the procedure after the MRI.
I know the pain you all feel and I hope my contribution helps in paving the way to another option than surgery. Don't give up hope yet, take the pain for a little while longer.
My prayers to you.

• I was recommended the same thing for my lower back pain. Placental stem cell injection into L4/L5 and L5/S1. Can you give an update as to how you're feeling and what the MRI showed? I've tried researching this and there isn't much information out there.
    Thank you.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Here on Spine-health, there is an article, " Are Stem Cells a Viable Treatment for Lower Back Pain?

You can find by using search on this site, upper right on page.
    It may be useful to you.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History