Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good questions to ask during my pre opt

Hi everyone! So I am having surgery on June 22 in Fresno CA. I have been dealing with pain since 2005 and have went through physical therapy and epidural injections with no relief! I had an MRI which showed a disc hernation at C3-C4 and C5-C6. My doctor decided to only operate on my C5-C6 cause most of my pain in down my arms and hands and my neck and my C3-C4 is only slightly herniated. I have spinal stonsis and degenerative disc disease. I am 31 years old and have had problems with this for so long it's nice to finally see a light at the end of the tunnel! I am going for my pre-opt on June 18 and didn't know what questions I should ask. I am getting my labs and x-Rays and then I will speak to the doctor. I am not sure if he is using my bone or a cadaver or a mesh cage? Anyone know which one is better? If anyone has any good questions I should ask during my pre-opt that would be great! I have been so nervous and scared cause I have read so much on the internet I really don't know what to expect. Everyone has such different recovery stories! I work with children with special needs and do a lot of moving my doctor said I will be out of work for 3-4 months is that a typical amount of time for recovery? Thanks in advance to anyone who has any good pre-opt question tips for me! Or just any advice about the surgery and recovery would be helpful!
Monica G!
Monica Gomez :)

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I do not have any suggestions re questions.......

But there is a post on this site.......post op must haves.
    Just use the ......search....and type in.....post op must haves ....and there you are.

It has been compiled by members to share in what they found they need to have handy before and after surgery.
    The list is full of ideas of things to think about for before surgery, at the hospital and home life recovery.

You may find something useful. Take what you need and leave the rest.

I wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery ........and a very smooth recovery!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Asil65AAsil65 Posts: 112
    edited 05/28/2015 - 12:43 AM
    Going for my 2 week post op appt today. My surgery was huge success all left arm pain gone, just dealing with some upper back spasms and now have to strengthen my puny triceps.I had a c6-7 fusion with discectomy. Here are some questions I would ask. I am no Doctor but just going through this this is what I would ask:
    1) how long until I can drive? I could not drive for 2 weeks
    2)weight lifting precautions how long ?
    3)any other specific precautions what you absolutely should not do
    4) How to care for your wound?
    5)can you shower after surgery-?my Doc put on a bio occlusive dressing (water proof) I could shower right away.
    Hope my few tips help. Wishing you a speedy and successful surgery.
  • Thanks for all that great info! Lisa I am glad your surgery was such a success! Thanks for the questions! I will also look for those posts lists above! This is such a great and supportive site thanks to all who have responded!! 25 days and counting!!
    Monica Gomez :)
  • Great info. I wonder when you can go to the gym? I'm thinking weight lifting will be a no (maybe forever?)

Happy you are doing so well.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I belong to a gym and have not gone back . Just working with free weights to strengthen my triceps and wrist extensors. Using some theraband for my finger extensors. My PA said no loading of the spine vertically with machines for my upper body ex no seated press ups those sort of things. I can use my legs for most seated exercises. I am not going to hurry back to gym just yet. I did buy some heavier free weights and am getting good results with those. If you had lumbar surgery definitely no leg presses or those kind of things. You have to heal internally before you return to the gym I am bummed because I still play in a woman's softball league. That is out this season. I know that walking is really good for you. Have to do more of that. It has been in the upper 80's in Connecticut ugh. Went from winter to summer.