Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What do I need to do....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
What do I need to do to my house to get it "Surgery" ready??

A friend of mine was telling me I need to bring in my wheelchair to test and see how much furniture I will need to move out of the way for the walker I will need after my L4-L5 and L5-S1 Fusion done.......

Will I need to rearrange my house...do anything to my kitchen to make it easier??

I REALLY appreciate ALL the advice;):)

• everything that you use daily at counter level...that is about all I know because I am a neckie. Good luck to you on the surgery and I pray for a speedy recovery....take care....Miki
  • Bring things that you use frequently that are stored low and bring them to at least counter level (4 ft.). Pots and pans come to mind.
    Paper plates and plastic forks etc for easy disposal. Bending down to load a dishwasher is a no no.
    Tape your phone charger to the counter so the wire doesn't fall to the floor if you plug in at a low outlet.
    I couldn't use the stairs until I graduated from Walker to Cane (2-3 weeks) so you might want to make arrangements if you have stairs at home.
    Remember: No bending, lifting or twisting so if you have questions about access, think in those terms.
  • See how well you'll be able to get around with either a wheelchair or walker, make sure your shower is big enuff for a shower chair, get a toilet helper seat, move things to a reachable level, GET A GRABBER A MUST!!!!!!!!
  • Thank you all sooo much, my insurance hasnt approved it yet but I am thinking why not start doing things now to make it easier for when they do approve it;) That way I am not running around hurting myself worse when I do have to do it;)

I have ALOT of furniture so that is the items I am most worried about;( I am a packrat,LOL :D
  • I had the same fusion you are having on June 9.  Doing OKI put a Bar Pot Rack on the wall behind the stove.  This way the pots and skillets will be at arm level.  I am using the top rack of the dishwasher to store the dishes I need.  Had saved up plastic silverware and got some paper plates to use.Clothes soap and softner are behind the washer on a balance shelf - however, so far I haven't done anything with it.  My best friend is my Grabber.  I got some extra ones ($20 at Walgreens) and it is great.  I can leave one where I know it is and attached one to my walker.  The extras is for when I drop mine - and I have.
    I moved my PJs to a basket just outside the bathroom and those things I need in the bath or in a box on the counter so I can reach them.
    Also laid in a supply of easy snacks (prunes, chips, crackers, soup) so I can have them when I need(ok, want) them.
    Get some Satiny sheets. That will make rolling over SO much easier.