Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
Well I saw the PM today and I'm not too thrilled, first off I couldn't see my usual PM doc he was busy doing injections so I had to see his partner, he felt taking two 7.5 mgs of percocet every 4-6 hours was way too much meds for being 3 months out, I was like are you kidding me! I told him I get alot of breakthrough pain and he didn't offer anyhting new like Opana or any ER type of med all he did was give me 150 pills of straight Oxycodone 20 mgs with no tylenol mixed in, he feels that will work best!!!! Then I asked if I could go back on my Soma (was on that before surgery) he wants me on Valium for at least 2 months then we'll discuss the Soma. So we shall see how this new way will work! :P imageimage

• Something you might try out when talking to a doctor about meds, if there's something new you want to try is to say "what can you tell me about...? I saw an advertisement for it and hadn't heard of it." or maybe "My relative is taking... and it works well for them. Do you find it to be a good medication?"

My doctor is always willing to talk about different medications and the benefits vs side effects, etc.

I hop you get better coverage... Have a good day!

• Remember last night?I told you not to ask for certain med but rather for info on it.Trater and Paul just reinforced my point
    With that said,150 pills of Oxy 20 mg will manage your pain pretty well.It is time released.How many a day,2 or 3?
    Don't get me wrong,we all learn till our last day.Doc's are touchy ppl,and most of them egomaniacs.They don't like us tell them what we need.Hell,I saw my PM today.Dude didn't know that Vicodin's got Tylenol in it. :) But he's still cool.
    Oxy is a good med,I think you should be OK.
    I'm out,gotta go to pick up my Oxy.

Cheers,G. 8)
  • But I sure wish I had the meds you do right now...Oxycodone is the only thing that has worked for any period of time for me,, hydrocodone is like taking Advil, and the Opana seems to be a big bust for everyone who's tried it. And I'm so not trying to be flippant at all, I think you just may have saved yourself a lot of money on a medication that hasn't really seemed to work for anyone! Especially since it's supposed to be the new wonder drug, but wondrous enough, it doesn't work lol!

I think you should be good, I know it's frustrating with doctors sometimes, it's like "HELLO! ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING?!" especially when it's not your regular doctor, but if there's problems, they are only a phone call away! Most of the time!
  • I should of listened but I figured if this was a new guy I had never seen he may be more likely to try what I wanted but I sure was wrong! Next time I'll listen I promise!!! ;) LOL
  • :) hi! you really are on alot of meds for being out of surgery 3 months. and then you want to add the Soma. perhaps it is time to be lowering your doses or atleast not adding meds. many of us would be very happy with that amount of medication. maybe you need to rethink your recovery plan! Jenny :)
  • Your doc won't prescribe you Oxy? I agree hydrocodone is like taking candy, and I had no idea this Opana is such a bust, I guess I am glad I'm not wasting money on it then! :)
  • You will be fine!Oxycodone is Percocet w/o Tylenol.If you were getting good relief from Percocet,there is nothing to worry about.

Good night,G.
  • Ok first off not to be rude at all but have you had a fusion? let alone 2 fusions? I have had chronic pain for over 10 years and for being 3 months out and only being on 1 pain med and 1 muscle relaxer is very, very little amount of meds compared to some ppl. on here, some are on 3-4 pain meds all at once! And heavy duty stuff like Morphine and Methadone, so I feel I'm doing darn good! :jawdrop:
  • Your script says to take it QID- which means four times daily... #150 means 150 pills... and I'm not sure about the #S.
  • :) you know what is best for you i don't. you were right about that. Jenny :)
  • No, he'll prescribe the percs if I asked, but they weren't working anymore, or at least only working for a very short period of time...I need ER Percocet or something...The mepergan worked too, but hell, that's demerol and that stomach medication for nausea that I can't think of at the moment, so of course it worked, but I don't think that's a long term option. My PM doc is great, I love him to death and he isn't afraid of prescribing meds, which is also great considering everything. He hates to see people in pain and is greatly empathetic and will do everything he can to make sure you don't hurt! How great of a doctor is that, seriously?! I trust him with everything.

And btw, valium is an EXCELLENT muscle relaxer and the strongest one that they give, so I think you should be good. I take clonopin and it not only knocks out the anxiety, but sometimes helps with the headaches and works as a excellent muscle relaxer! Be sure to keep us updated, like I said, if it doesn't work, the doctor is just a phone call away!

Funny how much I know about meds, but that's what happens when you have a mother who had a lumbar fusion and stepdad with neck problems...That's also a benefit, we are never without medication and often have different ones and can interchange to see if it works (my PM doc treats me and my mother so he knows we do that)...Sorry, wasn't trying to hijack your thread!
  • That's the name of the stomach medication, I remembered, that's the other ingredient in Mepergan Forte!
  • Hey Fancy~
    I used to take klonopin as a means of relaxing me to help ease the muscle spasms. While taking it, I became increasingly forgetful and still have trouble remembering things that I know that I should know. I also have trouble picking out words to use while talking... I can picture what it is in my mind, but can't remember the word that goes with it. It's not as bad since I stopped taking it, but I wonder if I'll ever get to where I don't have to struggle to remember words. I have an aunt that used to take it too and she experienced the same thing...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    100 Mg of Oxycontin ER is a heavy dose.

That is generally reserved for major major severe pain and maybe for when you are first released from the hospital.

Normally, after surgery, doctors like to go with
    Oxycontin 40mg Maybe twice a day, but more often 20mg 3 times a day and preferably 20mg 2x day with breakthrough pain meds.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I don't have those side effects, I take it for when I start panicking and it calms me down...I'd been on Clonopin before for panic attacks and haven't had a problem...I'm sorry you had those problems!
  • Agree with Ron.Although Cherry's dosage is 4x20mg,it's still a
    pretty hefty dose.It should be enough for severe pain even w/o the BTP meds.Just mine layman opinion.