Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Compression stockings

Mandyb68MMandyb68 Posts: 2
edited 06/12/2015 - 2:24 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Had a l5/s1 micridiscectomy 3 weeks ago. When I left hospital i am sure the nurse told me to wear the stockings for 6 weeks . This seems an awfully long time and people around me have asked if I should still be wearing them. How long have other people worn them please?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,845
    I can not speak about spinal surgery since my last one was in 2000. But for each of my hip replacements, I had to wear the compression stockings for a little over a month.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • TremFTTremF Posts: 53
    edited 06/14/2015 - 5:01 AM
    I wasn't told anything about wearing compression stockings once I left hospital yesterday. I wore them in though and took them off when I was getting dressed to leave. I have to say though I was in for c5-6 ACDF so my mobility is different than yours.

One strange thing is that my surgeon requests his patients have injections of Tinzaparin for 2 weeks post surgery which is what they were giving on the ward to stop blood clots. The ward nurse said he is the only surgeon at xxxx Hospital that requests that.

Surely if you are able to get up and walk around and plan to do any short distance walking then they won't be needed for the full 6 weeks? If you are going to be sat/lay a lot then they may be advised.

Good luck with your recovery :)
  • I had ACFD C5/C6 on 6.10.15. The nurse told me to keep them on for 3-5 days unless I was able to get up and walk 10 every 2 hours. I opted to walk as they itched so bad!