Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

alif4/6/15. sleep issue's

sherri67ssherri67 Posts: 3
edited 06/22/2015 - 1:54 AM in Sleep Problems
d alif surgery on 4/6/15 . sleep issue's
My L5-S1 was herniated and degenerated. I was miserable rtf leg /sciatic pain low back pain. I tried all conservative treatment and my last resort. I'm feel like I'm doing fairly well for 11 weeks out. I had a small incident 3 weeks out that caused additional pain. My husband ran over a curb . That pain I felt from that still exists.Dr. called me in for xray to make sure screws hadn't moved. Everything is fine there. I'm doing t and back to work 6 hours a day. I started at 2hrs and worked my way up. I'm doing pt now for 4 weeks. That irritates the muscles but I'm.getting through it. My most significant issue is sleeping.... I fall asleep and that lasts about 3 hours, start tossing and turning from pain. I will fall back asleep then I'm tossing and turning again 45 min later. I wake up every morning feeling like I was in an accident the night before. I takes about an hour in the am for it to subside. Any advice on this. Has anyone found anything that works? I have 5mg hydrocodone, one of those don't work either. It wears off. I have tried all the pm meds thought Aleve pm would work ....it didn't. I was going to try setting my alarm and waking up in middle of night to take hydrocodone to see if that would work. Really want to avoid that if possible.

• ALIF is one of the biggest spinal operations one can have and its a very hard operation to recover from .especially  if you have already had previous spinal surgery  age is also a factor .sleep is also a challenge many people with spinal problems tend to sleep on a recliner of a couch .i know its not the best but you have to sleep on or in whats best for you  
  • I'm almost ten years post L4-S1 ALIF and trying to sleep is a joke.  If I stay in one position too long, I'm hurting.  If I turn over the wrong way, I'm hurting.  My nightly routine consist of have a couple hours awake, waiting for meds to kick in, then taking additional meds because the other meds aren't getting it.  My entire outlook on things is suffering.  Anyone other than a spiney that says "they know what I'm talking about" and I want to smack them.  Until a person has undergone the hell that is a fusion and continued to work and be productive they don't know what pain and aggravation are. 
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • jimandjrjjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 78
    Lyrica and Tizanadine help me sleep each night.