Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Spine - Newest MRI - Someone help

myachingspinemmyachingspine Posts: 1
edited 06/22/2015 - 5:12 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi guys! My name is Matt. I'm new here and am still learning the in and out's of this forum. Allow me to give you a little history in regards to my problem. I had a c-spine fusion in 2013. Lately I've been having a LOT of problems with headaches, neck pain, numbness and tingling in my right shoulder and a shooting nerve pain from behind my ear to my hand...it's horrible! My vision is getting worse by the day it seems. I am unable to read a newspaper without blurred vision and double vision. My PCP seems to think I'm faking these symptoms to get pain killers or something obscene it seems.

I'm 52 years old, a former athlete, and have had a lot of collisions to my upper torso and head area. They have already performed an MRI on my brain (it was decided that YES Matt you do have a brain). Anyhow, I had an MRI on Saturday on the C-Spine area. I received the written results today and was wondering if anybody here can possible translate this information for me...into layman terms?? This is what I was given in the report:

p.s. - sorry so long but I want to be thorough

There is some hyperintense T2 signal without the cervical cord at the C6-C7 level. This extends over 1.1 cm area. This is non-specific and could be related to myelomalacia. Cannot entirely exclude demyselinating process. Clinical correlation is recommended.

1. Post-surgical changes withanterior fusion noted at the C5 through C7 levels
2. At the C3-C4 level, grade 1 retrolisthesis and moderate posterior broad-based spondylotic bulge are noted with moderate central canal stenosis. There is prominent bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, more significant on the left secondary to uncovertebral joint hypertrophic degenerative changes.
3. At the C4-C5 level, mild posterior broad-based spondylotic bulge slightly asymmetric to the right with small right lateral recess spondylotic protrusion component. Mild central canal stenosis and mild-to-moderate right lateral recess stenosis are noted with mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
4. At the C6-C7 level, there is prominent bilateral neural foraminal narrowing noted, left greater than right, secondary to uncovertebral joint hypertrophic degenerative changes. Anterior fusion is noted. There is mild posterior broad-based spondylotic bulge component slightly asymmetric to the left with moderate central canal stenosi. Anterior fusion is noted.
5. At the C5-C6 level, anterior fusion is noted. No disc protrusion or central canal stenosis. There is mild left neural foraminal narrowing secondary to lef-sided uncovertebral joint hypertrophic degenerative changes.
6. Vague signal abnormality within the cervical cord at the C6-C7 level, possibly related to myelomalacia. Correlation with prior studies is recommended. Demyelinating process cannot entirely be excluded.

Now, with that said. What, with everybody's experience do you think the doctor will recommend. He is more passive than aggressive in treatment I've noticed in the short time I have been with him. Is there anything I can ask him to prescribe me for the pain and other symptoms I am having? I have had the steroid injections in the past in the lower lumbar which was ultimately fused and has been just "okay" and I know will need work again soon. PT doesn't help me, and probably wouldn't. I have had at least 30 shoulder revisions (right) in which they had to take my collar bone completely out so I am unable to lift my right arm any higher than 90 degrees. My range of motion In my neck is limited and I will NOT go to a chiropractor! The last time I went he destroyed my lumbar thus having to have the fusion so they terrify me (kind of like the dentist).

Any help would be appreciated. I am more curious about the report and what it is really saying. But on the other hand treatments or medications to help. Thank you all and I look forward to your feedback. :-)

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 06/22/2015 - 5:41 PM
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Please click on Welcome. You will receive information about SH and how to best navigate site for best benefit to you.

*****Please note, forum rules prevent any member from commenting on or interpreting any test results.*****
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History