Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nerve/muscle pain in hips???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi --

I have scoliosis and DDD in my lumbar spine and have had a L5/S1 diskectomy. I had discography done two years ago, and the conclusion was that all of the lumbar discs are either herniated or ruptured. So, like a lot of you, I have chronic pain that flares up. But what I what I wasn't prepared for and what seems to be getting worse is the nerve/muscle pain that I experience in my gluts and hips. These areas are extremely sensitive to touch; it almost feels as if they are deeply bruised. The areas feel ropey or knotty. Any movement that jars my hip joints creates a lot of pain, even just kicking something by mistake. I don't know if this is making any sense, but I've never been able to get an answer to what is causing this pain and/or if there is anything I can do about it. I have tried massage and using a foam roller to break up tissue, but the pain is unbearable. I've been told it is something like fibromyalgia; that the areas are ischemic due to constant muscle tension from trying to keep my spine stable; that it is inflamed, etc. Has anyone dealt with anything like this? I am at my wit's end...the pain due to DDD is one thing, but this is other is getting worse and really limiting my mobility.

I am so glad to have found this site. Bless you all for being here!

• Yes, I had discectomy 7 months ago and experience much the same. What has done miracles for me and probably you too is a well fitted back brace. I went to and orthotics place and got fitted for a brace that has metal things in the back and corsette ( pull strings to tighten ) on the sides, velcro fastners in the front. The only drawbak is that it is hot in summer but I wear a mens muscle type Tshirt under the brace. Ribbed and tight fitting so that brace does not rub or irritate my skin. It has done wonders! It will keep the spine stable and prevent you somewhat from twisting. Once you get used to it it's really not bad. Go to your pcp asap and ask him to send you to get fitted for one. I promise it will be one of the best things that you ever did for yourselF! Let me know how you make out. Good luck.
  • How long have you had the hip pain?
  • thanks for the welcome...

The pain began in the year after my surgery in 2004 and has gotten progressively worse.
  • thanks! I will give it a try. Makes sense to go to someone to have one fitted, especially with my scoliosis, rather than rely on OTC.
  • I had a microdisc done at L5-S1. The pain that I experience is worse in my hip area than anywhere else. It hurts all the time and it is also extremely sensitive to touch. The doctors checked it and there is nothing wrong with the hip itself. They attribute it to the nerve inflammation and the way I hold myself to keep my back in line. I tried wearing a brace but cannot stand how it feels and it actually made my back pain worse. I wish there was something that I can tell you that helps it, but I haven't found the right thing yet myself. Good luck to you!
  • Yes. My doc told me specifically not to get one of the otc ones. My brace goes from under my chest down to below my belly button.
  • Oh yeah and my insurance covered all but $3 of it.
  • Laurie are you able to do any stretching?

I experienced the same thing after several lumbar surgeries and was able to get rid of it by adding a piriformis stretch to my daily routine. When I found the stretch it was like a dream come true and has kept that pain and feeling away since late 2005.

• Did you get an X-Ray of your hip? When that happened to me, it turned out I had OA and had to get a hip replacement.
  • I saw my surgeon (whom I really like and who is not knife-happy) this week because of a particularly bad episode last week. It took me 30 minutes to get out of bed, and I spent much of the week shuffling along half bent over. I took the opportunity to ask him about my hip pain. thankfully, it is not the hip joint itself. If so, I would most likely have pain in the groin area, whereas my pain is across the top and down the side. What I have is referred pain from the facet joints at L5/S1 and L4/L5. He said that the best thing I can do is to stay as active as I can, to keep the blood flowing in that area. Now, that is a challenge because I every month it seems I do something that gets my walking or yoga off track, but it helped me to know that these episodes are not causing further damage. I just need to get through them as best I can. I realized that I had been carrying around with me the thought that I was getting worse; the relief from knowing that the pain episodes are separate from further deterioration was enough to get me through the last few days.

One of you mentioned particular stretches -- thanks. That seems very consistent with what he recommends. I need to be more consistent with it.

thanks to all of you who wrote. Onward...

• I had a L5-S1 Fusion with Laminectomy back in April 07. Things have been going well, still have pain but is very managable now with meds. All of a sudden over the last week I have had tremendous pain in my left hip and it radiates down my left leg! I am freaking out and have been hopeing it will go away. Now after reading all these posts it looks like it is a common problem and may never go away! Keep me posted on your progress and if you find out any new information!

• Laurie,

My NS laughed at me once when I was freaking out because I thought I was messing up my hip with the way I was walking due to the back pain I had. He said, no it's not your hip and it will go away after the surgery on XXX day. I seriously doubted it since it hurt so bad and was so into my hip. Sure enough, after surgery it was gone!

When I stretch (1 more day and I get to start again!!!!) :-) I focus a ton on my lower back, hips and core. I have taken a bunch from the back school I attended and also yoga. Came up with a routine that if follow it, I can loosen everything up and even get rid of the pain that radiates into my ankle and foot. It all starts with the hip though. So I do a lot of piriformis and hip flexors along with glutes and hamstrings.

Several of the guys at the gym adopted my routine after I helped them ease the tension in their lower backs. They were curious since I take so long to stretch in comparison to others. They described tightness in their hips and lower back and once I ran them through my routine they were hooked. Of course they modified it to fit their needs and I am thrilled to see a few more people taking stretching a little more seriously.

I'm wondering how having the SCS generator in my hip is going to effect the stretching. Keep your fingers crossed.

Sorry to ramble on. I really am glad you went and saw the doc. He sounds like a great one, a keeper. Let us know how it goes over the next few weeks.

• tingling, burning pain over the SI Joints where I've had an injury and it's a mean pain.

I can barely lay on my back anymore and sitting is hard also. It feels like something is going to burn straight through to the surface. It is also very, very tender to the touch.

I ice it, heat it and put lidocaine patches on it. Have to lay on my side a lot it's so tender to lie on.

I know I need something for nerve pain.
  • I too have bad hip pain, my surgeon says it's bursitis, but when I had my discogram I felt extreme pain in my hips at the l4-5 level. I am 49 ,so maybe bursitis is a contributing factor, but I'm not buying that it's the whole reason. The meds I've been taking for post op pain don't even touch it,(the hip pain) so it is constant...24-7. I read about hip injections for arthritis.... maybe that's what I need.Stretching feels good. but doesn't make the pain stop. Hot tub is wonderful, but doesn't make the pain stop. So on it goes....I think when I see my surgeon next I'll ask for some X-rays of my hips...they also will cramp up, from my hip to my shoulder blade.....I don't get it....so for now I'm doing what I can but am just living with it. I feel like a big whiner, but hey it hurts!
  • Hi Everyone:
    I see some comments about nerve pain. I have had that pain along with severe back pain for many years and in desperation last February, my regular doctor prescribed Lyrica.

It has helped with overall pain, really helped with Migraines and even with getting better sleep.

Maybe some of you have/had tried Neurontin. This is a newer generation of anti-seisure medication.
    Not that any of us wants to take another drug, I know I don't want to but if it means I can function better, then it's okay with me.

I have NO luck and only bad side effects from taking anti-depressants.

Friday, I had injections at L-4-5. Woke up with no pain, nor any the next day. Today, I had just some twinges around the hip again, but walked a mile and right now, things are okay.

It's an individual process for each of us. I know I have a fusion and laminectomy in my near future but for now I am educating myself ( when I am not getting scared out of my wits...). I am just buying some time.

Wishing you better days,

This discussion has been closed.