Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oh, sciatica. Why are you back?

Del.RaeDDel.Rae Posts: 3
Earlier this year, i had wanted to make changes for a healthier lifestyle. I started changing diet that consisted of organic food. I was quite happy with the results and decided to get back into shape as i was still 5 kgs overweight. At 31 years, it's never too late to start, right?

During my younger years, I had done a lot of sports. I thought maybe if I could just get back to a normal weight range, I'd feel better about myself.

For five weeks, I did zumba and hit the gym daily. I felt pain on my lower right side of my back but shrugged it off as soreness from all the gym work. Should've known better.

The pain affected my performance at work, and people don't believe that i am in pain. I have been suffering from L4 herniated disk and L5/S1 degeneration, as told by my doctor based on the MRI. It is now week 7, and the doctor told me that if the pain still persists by week 8, i should consider surgery...which scared me a whole lot.

Determined not to undergo surgery, the first six weeks i had gone to a physiotherapist who taught me yoga stretches and exercises. At home, i do gentle stretches, massage, cold and hot therapy.

The sciatica pain had gone away for the past few days, but had mysteriously returned this morning. I woke up with the familiar pain shooting from the right buttock to the foot. I got up and coughed. Yep. There it was. The pain's back. The numbess of the skin had also returned. I had been very careful with posture, sleeping position and carrying things.
And now, i have no idea why it's back.

I hope i'm not alone in this where the pain returns eventhough you were getting better..

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Betty65BBetty65 FloridaPosts: 83
    I feel your pain! I'm just wondering if your primary doctor referred you to a surgeon. My primary first sent me to a chiropractor (mistake for me) and then to Pain Management doctor. The pain management doc has done much good for me....personally I'm going to wait as long as possible until surgery. But everyone is different -- just make sure to research all the options, ya know?

Take care.

• Betty65 said:
    I feel your pain! I'm just wondering if your primary doctor referred you to a surgeon. My primary first sent me to a chiropractor (mistake for me) and then to Pain Management doctor. The pain management doc has done much good for me....personally I'm going to wait as long as possible until surgery. But everyone is different -- just make sure to research all the options, ya know?

Take care.

You're absolutely right about waiting as long as possible before surgery.
    My doctor hasn't referred me to a surgeon yet, but has recommended a physiotheraist who i've been going to.

It's just that it was getting better, and then one day i wake up and the pain is back again. Like all those weeks of recovering didn't even happen.

I am glad that there are people here who understand the pain.

Am still hopeful though in reaching that light at end of this very long dark tunnel.

I hope that you and anyone else who's experiencing this have a speedy recovery.
  • Citygirl06CCitygirl06 Posts: 1
    edited 07/05/2015 - 8:46 PM
    I can totally relate to what you are going thru as I have suffered with sciatica off and on for a couple of years but only recently did I find out what it was. About three months ago out of the blue I suddenly had very strong pain radiating down my right leg and into my foot. I could not sit or lay down without being in agony but I could stand or walk without an issue. I had to do everything standing up and I mean everything including going to the bathroom which I dreaded because to sit down was unbearable so I figured out a way to stand and p. I also had to stand to eat my meals because I could not sit at all. Now to lay down was horrible but if I put two pillows and a heating pad under my leg I could manage but I could not move from this position at all and getting on the bed with my leg up made me want to cry so once I was down that was it! I read online from this doctor who said that you should never stretch when you have this type of pain so I didn't because I was afraid of making it worse. He said stretching when in pain only irritates the nerve more and prevents it from healing faster. I also learned that I probably had a lot of inflammation around the disc or the nerve and it needed to calm down. Anyway I suffered with this pain for almost two months without any medication just rest and my heating pad and when I thought i could take no more I got better on week seven and then it went away and i slowly started to stretch after walking every day. I still have minor pain at times but nothing compared to what I went thru those seven weeks. My doctor was absolutely no help whatsoever! My point to those just having this pain is that if you let it alone and rest it and it's nothing more serious it will subside. Oh and another thing toward the end maybe four weeks in my right foot also started acting crazy, it went numb and felt like pins and needles and was very painful. Well that feeling went away and was replaced with a Morton's Neuroma which i still have to deal with. I hope whatever you are dealing with will go away on it's own and i also hope you feel better and I wanted to let you know that there is light at the end of that tunnel!! Take Care.

Moderator's message...Please click on link for helpful information
    Welcome to Spine-Health
  • @Citygirl06

I cried reading your post. I am so sorry to hear that you've gone through so much pain for so long.

I understand what you mean about the pain in doing just the simplest of things. Things we take for granted like enjoying a sit down meal with the family, laying down all comfy with a great book in hand, lazing on the sofa and watching movies, and sitting on the toilet!

I went back to work today, and people asked how things are going. Not knowing what to say, i end up smiling and asking about their weekend instead whilst gritting through the spasms. The whole time I had wanted to just lay down and do work, but can't do that in an open office.

I hope we all recover from our pain and get back to enjoying the things we like doing soon.