Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain constantly changes its location

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Chronic Pain

I could not decide which forum my problem should be in so I am putting it here out of a lack of a better idea.

I recently (about 6 weeks ago) developed a back pain. I think it is a muscle spasm but don't know for sure. The pain is sometimes in my lower back area and sometimes it moves around to the lower front (belly area). Other days it is predominantly between my shoulder blades. It basically can be in about any area of my torso. It is never in all areas at once.

Sometimes it even pretty much goes away during the day, at least for a while. It is usually at its lightest whenever I am actively doing something such as riding my bike or working about the house.

It is at its most annoying when I lay down. I can only sleep in the fetal position, that is when I can sleep at all. Other positions are always too painful.

So, my question is, what kind of a problem do you think I have? The most unusual aspect of it is that the pain moves from one place to another. It usually stays in a given area for a few hours and then slowly shifts to another area. TIA

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! normally you would start out in the Newcomer forum but you are ok here! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i would need alot more information to know anything about your pain. have you had an mri or ct scan? had an accurate diagnosis? taken medication? and most important seen a doctor? it this pain is enough to interfere with your life, either sleeping, working or playing then you need to see a doctor. there is really no telling otherwise. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • I just posted (accidentally hit some button) so maybe this is a partial repost.

Anyway, I have had this pain for about 6 weeks. I just saw a doctor 2 days ago for the first time. She gave me a 2 week subscription of NSAIDs and muscle relaxant. She also said that my pain "doesn't fit in any box" meaning my description was not consistent with typical symptoms for known issues I guess.

The worst of it is while trying to sleep. It won't let me. I eventually do doze off for an hour or maybe even 2 at a time but then wake with pain. I can sometimes take a shower to relieve it enough to get back to sleep and maybe get another hour or two.

I am just in the very beginning stage of having this diagnosed. I have only seen a GP once but will go back to her in 2 weeks. I am just wondering if anyone here knows or has any experience with this type of pain.

Its most predominant characteristic is that the pain travels around my torso. It may start the day in my lower back area then later move to upper back, between the shoulder blades, then it may move around to my front, either upper or lower front. It may be mainly on the left side or the right side or both at any given time.

I believe it to be some kind of muscle spasm from other stuff I've read. I also think it may have started from one day in late May that I carried a heavy car battery while bent over (it was in my house's crawl space) and then maybe I exacerbated the problem when I installed my heavy widow air conditioner in early June.

I hope that it is only a muscle strain/injury that will eventually heal. However, since it has been plaguing me for 6 weeks now, and since my doctor's original diagnosis is "I don't have a clue" I am not optimistic.

So, can anyone shed any light on this issue, whose main identifying characteristic (at least in my opinion) is that the location of the pain moves around my whole upper body?

One other issue that may be of intereset... I can often get relief by hopping on my bicycle or my stationary bike and ride for a half hour or more.

Thank you kindly for the welcome!

• donnagriff12ddonnagriff12 Posts: 2
    edited 11/10/2014 - 6:57 AM
    i get pain that started in the right lower back .that was in april,iv had xrays that said its degenerative arthritis with a slight curved spine.however the pain has now travelled to the front of my abdomen and hip area also.i feel the doctor doesnt take me seriously at all.im on high strength painkillers and can barely move most days.im waiting for an mri appointment now and all the gp seems to want to do is put me on anti depressants,im not depressed i just want the pain to be controlled!good luck with your pain and diagnosis.
  • Ajd400AAjd400 Posts: 1
    edited 02/07/2015 - 7:32 AM

I seem to have the exact same symptoms. My MRI shows a degenerated disc at L5/S1. Did you ever get a diagnosis?

Ben (benakoning@gmail.com)

Ben This is a old thread, Greg is no longer a member here.
    For best support and information I suggest you make a new thread in introductions, you can do this by clicking on 'create forum post' on the left column.

Liz ...Spine-health moderator