Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

husband has defibrillator but needs dcs or pump

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Management
My husband had preliminary test for dorsal column stimulator and found it worked. When he was tohave it surgically put in, they could not do it because they found he needed a defibrillator. they found and fixed two blocked arteries and found he had had a heart attack. No one knows when the attack happened. He has the defibrillator but still is in constant pain. We're trying to find out if anyone has had the dorsal column stimulator or pain pump put in with a defibrillator. We live in the central Jersey area and are willing to travel to other places in New Jersey. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My husband is constantly in pain and he would like to get off pain medication. thank you for your help.

• I'm not sure the reasoning behind it, but I was told that only one device could be implanted at a given time.

I would think that the DCS would potentially interfere with the defibrillator since it sends a small electrical signal into the body.

However I don't know for certain and I am curious myself.

I'm sorry that your husband is having such a tough time of it. He is very lucky to have you to watch out for him.

• Thank you so much for your reply. Some doctors are hesitant to try both; however, my son met someone from medtronics and discussed the situation with him. The rep said that some doctors are willing to put it in. We're looking for a neurosurgeon to at least try with the test wire to see if it affects the defibrillator. We have one doctor we have to call. My husband just needs some kind of relief and soon. As soon as we find anything out, I'll be sure to let the world know. Thanks again.

• Lynne,

Please let me know what you find out. That would be so cool if the neurosurgeon is at least willing to give it a try.

I have been studying a lot about the design of the neurostimulators and they have improved so much over the last few years, maybe we're about to see new ground broken here!