Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

'Debris' near nerve after microdiscectomy causing pain - anyone had this ?

PaininfootPPaininfoot Posts: 35
edited 07/08/2015 - 5:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I am one month out from a microdiscectomy and have excruciating nerve pain in my foot . A MRI two weeks ago revealed 'debris' - possibly a bit of disc or maters that has broken of it after the initial healing period . This is pressing on the S1 nerve which is inflamed. Apparently it is not scar tissue as it is too early. I had a steroid shot ( nerve root block) two weeks ago and it hasn't done a thing . I am due to have another next week. If this doesn't work , the the surgeon in says he can go in and clean up the debris and hopefully this will sort it out . Has anyone ever had this and had a positive outcome from a second surgery.
I am very worried . Please reply if you have had a similar experience ( whatever the outcome ) .

Here is what the MRI said : "A new nodule of tissue is now seen just lateral to the right S1 nerve root at the anterosuperior margin of the facet joint resection. This may well be causing some radicular impingement and the nerve root itself appears slightly swollen compared to the preoperative imaging".

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    then you should go and have that done.

'debris' is a scary word. What actually was left behind or developed after surgery. You don't want that in your body

Bottom line, no one here is gong to be able to give you a medical answer on this one.

You need to discuss this with your doctor to understand the What ifs

• - If you dont go in and remove the debris what are the short and long term impacts?
      - If you go in and remove the debris, is that gong ti impact my original surgery in anyway?
      - Can I wait to have this removed? If i do wait, what are the potential problems?
      - Why/How did his happen?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • In short...yes, I've had that and I did have the surgery to remove it. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the pain in my foot, but that was likely just nerve damage from the original injury.

I had 2 microdiscectomies and then a fusion, all at the L5/S1 region within a few months' time last year. I keep reherniating within weeks of the micro-d's, thus the fusion. Ever since the fusion, I have had what seems to be permanent weakness in my left leg/foot and nerve pain in my left foot. There has been no change whatsoever in nearly 10 months now. However, because the weakness was new immediately after the fusion surgery, I was taken for a CT scan which showed "debris" or a bone fragment very close to the nerve. With all the surgeries I had had in rapid-fire succession, we kept a close eye on it and when, 3 months after the fusion things had not changed, my neurosurgeon suggested going back in, removing the hardware on that side and the bone fragment to see if that made a difference. It was up to me and he very honestly told me it might not make any difference at all, but at least we'd know we had done absolutely everything we could...so I had the 4th surgery.

Recovery-wise, it was simple (although with that many surgeries in a 6 month time frame, it took longer than it would normally have). I think you really need to talk with your surgeon and carefully weigh the pros and cons. Ask any questions you can think of, but for me it would probably come down to "what happens if I do nothing?" Could it cause more problems (I tend to think the logical answer would be yes because it's something loose that isn't supposed to be there causing nerve irritation.)
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014