Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help I just had fusion

ShandafaymSShandafaym Posts: 1
edited 07/08/2015 - 3:51 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all, I am just a couple weeks out of lumbar spinal fusion also have scoliosis and have the rods and screws installed in the L45 S1. I guess I thought I was stronger. I'm married with older teens and I believed that I would have help in recovery but as it turns out I dont. So I am alone in this journey. I will love any advise you can give me. I am working with the bare minimum sorry to complain but I am so alone, I wake in the nite with pain from surgery alone. I live in an Apt with alot of stairs so it's hard walking. Eating is hard because I dont have the big appetite and I was the cook so I dont eat what the family eats and my husband says we cant make two different meals, I lost alot of blood but I dont have vitamins and insurance wont cover. Please any advice on how to heal. Lastly I tell my husband he is kneeing me in my back when we sleep but he refuses to sleep on the couch should I just sleep in my brace? Thanks for your time.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I am a single mom of a young adult with mild autism. I absolutely cannot imagine what it would have been like without my mom here. She stayed with me the first 2 weeks. If someone would even bump into my bed, it would have been in horrible pain. I wouldn't even let my dog sleep with me. I hate to sound mean, but that is BS that your husband won't sleep somewhere else. That just shows he has no clue what you are going through. Those first two weeks, I was well taken care of. After that, it got really frustrating. Me & my son, ugggh. He did most of what I asked, but not without constant grief. My son has never really got the concept of cleaning up after anyone else. I don't know what exactly I am trying to say, just that I know it must be horrible and I feel for you. :)
    Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) Surgery (Open) L2/L3 (23Mar15)
  • I don't think you should sleep in your brace. I don't think I could sleep in mine. If you can't kick him out of the bed, maybe you could get someone to pick you up one of those body length pillows. to put between you two.

I couldn't eat much for a month or so after surgery. You are supposed to eat lots of protein. I drank these mix up protein shakes from GNC. It mixes with milk, so I got protein and calcium both. I know that it is also expensive though.
    I ate a lot of soup, some fruit, raw carrots,... Stuff I could just pick up and eat anytime. Maybe he can pick you up a few things like that.

That is horrible you have steps. I used my walker about a month and I sure didn't go down any stairs. I wouldn't go out there by yourself either, to be careful. Getting up and moving is more important that you know. Even if you are just walking room to room in your apartment.

You still need to go by the no bending, lifting or twisting rule for several months. It's hard to get used to, but it's important. Hopefully you have or can get one of those grabber things like old people use to pick up things.

I'm sorry that most of my suggestions cost money, but I just can't think of any alternatives. Please just try to keep your mind as positive as possible, no matter what. That is one of the things that is going to get you through this. :)

Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) Surgery (Open) L2/L3 (23Mar15)
  • WeritaWWerita Posts: 1
    edited 07/10/2015 - 1:21 AM
    I am two weeks post op for L2345S1 fusion. I also have scoliosis. 3 years ago I had a double mastectomy for breast cancer so I have. Been in my bed forever. I am lucky that I have a very patient husband who does everything for me. He works on the off shore oil rigs and is home for a month and gone for a month....he leaves on Wednesday. I am terrified I can't walk well. Can't wipe my nether parts and haven't even tried to go down the stairs yet.i will live on sandwiches I guess. I have lost 30 kilos and am 10 kilos under my suggested weight. When I walk it is like I have a dropped foot and everything hurts like the dickens unless I take tramadol and then everything is too lovely. I just want to get over this and get on with my life. Will it ever end?

Moderator's message...Please click on link for helpful information
    Welcome to Spine-Health
  • b.logginsbb.loggins Posts: 4
    edited 07/19/2015 - 6:34 AM
    I suffered a lot of blood loss as well, and my doctor put me on iron pills. If your insurance won't cover something like that, maybe you could look at some over-the-counter iron supplements?

As far as feeling alone, you should really consider some kind of counseling. I truly believe that counseling can help anyone in life, even if they appear to be someone with hardly any problems. You could also just talk to your doctor about all of this. Even though they're not exactly counselors, they deal with people just like you all the time, and I'm sure they would have some great advice for you.

As far as sleeping goes, I agree, invest in a body pillow.

Good luck with everything. I know the recovery process can be difficult, and I know it's hard to be happy when you're cooped up inside all day. Things will get better, and one day, this will just be something that made you stronger.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!