Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

45 Min L5-S1 Fusion. Home 2 hours After. Is this normal?

brokenlumbarbbrokenlumbar Posts: 34
edited 09/10/2015 - 6:00 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having a revision surgery in the next couple of weeks due to a non-union. I was sent home 1.5 hours after waking up I was sent home and had zero assistance and zero guidance on what to do to recover.

Has anyone else experienced this?



  • I had L4-S1 fusion done on 4-8-15. They inserted 2 cages in my back 4 rods and 14 screws. Never felt right from day one at the hospital. As my leg felt like it was on fire. They kept me there for 4 days then released me. About 3 weeks into recovery I woke up one morning unable to move my right leg. The doctor's office said it was normal so they changed my meds and over powered the pain. At my 6 week check up they took new xrays and found that one of the cages slipped back and was resting on my nerves to my right leg. Doctor tried to put the blame on me as if I did something wrong or moved the wrong way. They scheduled me for surgery the next morning to remove bad cage and replace it with a new bigger cage. The 1st surgery took them 3 1/2 hours and the 2nd surgery took 2 hours. After the 2nd surgery I was only in the hospital over night and then released the next morning. 1st surgery they tried to do it all from back side and the 2nd surgery they came in on my right side just below my rib cage. The 2nd surgery was Alot worse due to location cause all my ribs started to bruise and ended up my right lung collapsed on me due to Atelectasis in my lungs cause I couldn't breath. Finally on the road to recovery this time. My leg and back pain I would say is 80% gone now and my bone is starting to grow. I have been wearing my bone stimulator non stop. Best of luck to ya
  • I've done some reading around on this subject here and really haven't found anyone having the surgery I had without staying
    at least a couple days in the hospital.
  • Ice manIIce man Posts: 123
    edited 07/11/2015 - 8:32 AM
    I have to agree with you. I have never heard of that either but I wouldn't be so quick to jump on your dr about this. Is it possible your insurance company isn't to blame? Is the same Dr doing the revisit and do you have the same insurance company?

    I have had 5 back surgeries and always stay a minimum of 2 days. A fusion is normally 3 days.
  • For both of my discectomies I was in hospital for 2 nights & fusion was told 5-7 nights. I stayed 3 nights then moved to rehab for 7 nights. My fusion took around 3 1/2 hours.

    Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
Sign In or Register to comment.