Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Got new script for topical med

Dava AnneDDava Anne Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
I just got my script for the new compounded topical med that my neuro, along with the pharmacist came up with for me to try. It contains alot of different meds as follows:
5% Bupivicaine
2% Amitriptyline
2% Baclofen
10% Ketoprofen
1% Piroxicam

I am to apply it to the painful area 2 times per day. I'm not sure exactly what all these meds do but I sure hope it works!

• Hi Dava Anne,I looks like a pretty good mix.Not a pharmacist,but from little I know:
    if the name ends with "caine",it's most likely a pain reliever
    Amitriptyline is antidepressant,but also used for chronic pain
    Ketoprofen is the one i am very familiar with,used pounds of it during the years.It's a NSAID,so is Piroxicam.
    Baclofen,I think is a muscle relaxer.

The mix sounds really good.Would you give me the name of it, please?It could be a better option than opioid meds.
    Good luck with it,hope it works for you!
  • I picked up the new topical med last night and will start using it today. I am hoping it works. I have never been to a compounding pharmacy before but this one is impressive!
  • I had one of these once. Unfortunately, when I read the directions it said to use it on only 4 places at any one time.

Sadly, for me I have nerve damage throughout my legs and degenerative disk damage in lumbar spine so this only relieved the pain in 4 of the worst spots.

If you can put it everywhere it hurts, I would love to hear about it.

Good Luck
  • CherSpirit: I have sent you a PM with the instructions I got from the pharmacist on how to apply. He also told me the reason they use this combo of meds is as follows:
    Bupivacaine: numbing agent
    Amitriptyline: nerve pain
    Baclofen: muscle spasms
    Ketoprofen & Piroxicam: NSAIDS
    If you any other questons, just let me know. Dava Anne
  • Bupivicaine in a local anesthetic in the amide family.