Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 fusion w/posterior hardware

HP-sidelinedHHP-sidelined Posts: 2
edited 07/11/2015 - 6:38 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Having lurked here prior to my surgery I wanted to add my results since I found this site so helpful-and scary at times.

I had an L5-S1 ALIF W/minimally invasive posterior rods and screws on Wednesday morning 7/8/15. Shockingly I was discharged yesterday afternoon after two nights though they had scheduled me to be discharged on Monday. The surgery went very well. It took about 3 1/2 hours and the surgeon was able to open up enough space with the ALIF that he didn't need to do a lamenectomy or foramenotomy.

Prior to surgery I had read a lot of people's experiences here. I zeroed in on one very positive story and kept reading that one saying "that's going to be me!" So I wanted to add another positive outcome here. (So far, I realize I'm only a few days post-op. )

Surgery day went fine. To be honest the siting was the worst part. I came out of the anesthesia really well. It even surprised the surgeon. All was great until a bit after midnight when some nausea hit me. By 2 AM I vomited up fluid. Not fun with incisions both front and back. That lasted on and off the next day and my BP crashed after PT had me walking. The walking went well but when they say me down the BP went down and kept falling. So they had to put me back to bed. They had also removed the PCA prior to PT seeing me, a little less than 24 hours post-op.

The second day was much better, starting with my surgeon saying if PT had me do stairs and would sign off I could go home that day. Good incentive! The hardest part was getting up and down to go to the bathroom. Unlike the case I kept reading I do have anterior pain from the ALIF. Once up I felt good and it felt good to walk. I did the stairs w/PT and they signed off. They monitored my BP for a few hours and then discharged me.

This is my first day home and I've walked and done stairs. The best money I spent was for the recommended satin sheets. It's so much easier to turn over!

There is definitely pain , but no where near as bad as I'd thought. I just wanted to put a positive outcome on here for people who may be facing similar surgery. Thanks to all who posted before and made me so prepared. An especially big thanks for the pre-op list. So many good ideas I never would have thought of.

HP; L5-S1 ALIF W/posterior hardware

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I went in on Monday 7/6/15 for an ALIF fusion L/3 L/4, L/4L/5 PLIF and was released from the hospital on Thursday afternoon. I was in the surgery/recovery room for a total of 12 hours on Monday. I wish you the best in your recovery and please keep us posted on your progress.
  • HP-sidelinedHHP-sidelined Posts: 2
    edited 07/13/2015 - 5:10 AM
    Wow, I can't believe how quickly you got home with multiple levels done. How are you doing? Personally I'm finding the digestive issues most annoying. Maybe because I wasn't as prepared for that as the other stuff. I walked about two miles this morning. Everyone says trust your body so I'm trying to go further each day. My body hasn't revolted yet ... Except the intestines. Please let me know how you are doing and progressing. All my best wishes for you!
    HP; L5-S1 ALIF W/posterior hardware
  • Ice manIIce man Posts: 123
    edited 07/13/2015 - 7:27 AM
    I am doing good. I posted my story in another thread if you want to read about what happened to me. It's a rather long read but it's titled "PLIF gone wrong turns into a blessing".

As far as the digestive issues, stool softeners are a must. Miralax works well for me, it comes in a powder form and you mix it with any liquid and there is no taste.

I'm not quite walking that far yet. I know I could if I needed to but I live in Georgia and it is very hot here. My dr said he wanted me to wait until the staples came out because he didn't want any sweat getting in the incisions.

Best of luck to you as well. Keep us posted