Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery from L5/S1 Fusion..........Duplicate post please follow link

DeltaoptionDDeltaoption Posts: 4
edited 07/13/2015 - 4:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all, Here is my original post from newbie forum so you have the back ground.
****Prior post****
Just came across this site and thought it could be a good idea for support and info. I was originally injured in 2009 in Afghanistan in two blasts. After fighting it for fours years to prove i was actually in pain and getting someone with a brain to look at my films. The VA finally sent me to see real doctors. The first look at my X-rays and mri's, They said how did the VA not see this. ?
I originally had bulging discs in my neck and lower back, Fractured the ribs where the meet the spine. Two discs in my lower lumbar and tailbone were split. Va has been telling me for the last 5 yrs nothing major was wrong and i just had to deal with it, but i shouldn't work or it would get worse. Needless to say not working wasn't a option. now almost 6 years later new docs say I have gotten way worse. My L5/S1 is completely gone, L4/L5 may need surgery within two years, the last disc in my neck surgery within two years. They did decide that visit that surgery was needed on the L5/S1 soon. They would address the other two areas after recovery from this surgery. I go in for surgery July 2 to fuse .. They will be doing it anteriorly which is a little nerve racking. I am happy to finally have someone recognize that I do actually have injuries since being medically retired from the Army, and the VA not wanting to do anything about it. It will be nice to not be in as much pain as I have been since 2009.
Im planing to take my Vacations days from work to recover without feeling the need to over do it. So 45 days should do it.
Hope everyone is doing well.

Well 11 Days after surgery, Doc said everything went well, but when he got in their is was much worse then originally expected. It Looks like i may need my L4/L5 done next.
The anterior insicion is healing well, feels a little weird like my organs still working back into place. As for my back and the fusion. Its stil very painful for some reason. Cant lay flat, still have pain in my legs, I have limited the amount of pain meds im taking to avoid any issues but in return its not doing much for the pain. I have a follow up this week, but noticing certain things are making life a little difficult still. i.e. Carpet floors difficult to walk especailly since my left leg has gone out on me twice walking on carpet, trying to get in and out of the shower which hasa tub is very challenging, heck even just trying to use the sink in bathroom being that its waste high is challenging. Anyway still trying to stay positive, trying to not let the pain take a toll on me mentally being cooped up in the house. Not to mention with the A/c not working very well and it being so hot out im hoping it doesnt fully crap out on me again!

thanks for reading

Duplicate post please follow link......

Spine-health moderator