Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I feel so negative....

Hello, I had ALIF surgery S-1, L-5. Just over a month ago. I am 35years old. I am feeling very negative and not happy about that. under a lot of stress,trying to be positive. I am married,with 3 children,not babies ...my husband is out of work,everyone is stressed,my kids see it and are being affected,nothing I can do at the moment. Just trying not to loose it or break down crying. I need to be in prayer,so much in my mind even that seems hard...i do not feel like myself...my kids go back to school next month,so much to be done....this is hard.

• So sorry you are dealing with such stress! I felt that way too, for about 2 weeks, weeks 3 and 4 post op. I felt hopeless! I think you will turn a corner very soon! As you get stronger, I think it is easier to be optimistic. If you can, try to get outside near plants and trees, or nature of some kind. Even if it is only a few minutes. When you are resting, lie there and literally count the things that are good in your life, no matter how small. I will pray for you. Hang in there! You can do this!
  • Been there,done that..I have a 7 year old and felt like I was ready for the junk pile..Hang in there..As you feel better,the depression symptoms get better at the same rate..At least it did with me..But oh my,there was some very dark days..GL
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Recovery is its own stress and you have issues added on to that. Sorry for all you are going through.

One month post op isn't all that long.
    I would include the negative feelings and not feeling happy along with your other symptoms when you see your doctor.

You mentioned prayer. Do you have a good friend or Pastor, or Pastor's wife...to be able to talk with and help you through this transition and or difficulty in your life?
    It is not all bad to break down and cry when emotions fill our hearts. I understand you might not want that seen by children, that you say are already being effected...but with a friend or people I mentioned above, it could be a good release.
    You can certainly vent in this site, also.
    You're not alone!

You may feel some relief .
    Depression often accompanies spinal issues, but shouldn't be taken as normal. Maybe a therapist for short time while you transition post op.

I wish you the very best! Please keep us posted on how you are doing!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History