Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 nerve pain going to coccyx - anyone had this ?

PaininfootPPaininfoot Posts: 35
I have a herniation at L5S1 level and S1 nerve root inflammation - has anyone had pain from this area spread to their coccyx ?? I have had a alot of foot pain but very little back pain up until now - but the last few days my coccyx and the two or three 'tail bones' above it have been excruciating. Anyone had this ?

• I'm so sorry you're hurting. It affects not only your body but your mental status as well. I have had spinal fusion at L4-L5 and L5-S1 and now have another herniated disc at L3-L4 (which hasn't been treated yet). I'm not sure if our pain is all that similar but I can identify with with the pain in the tailbone. Have you had any spinal surgeries? Even after my fusions healed, I'm still dealing with pain when I try to sit or do anything that puts pressure on my low back and especially on my tailbone. I believe there are nerves that are aggravated and inflamed whenever you do anything that puts the pressure on your tailbone. You might try getting one of those pillows that are used for folks with hemorrhoids because it will keep your tailbone from touching the hard surface of even a padded chair.

You didn't mention any doctor advice and I'm definitely not one but I have some wonderful doctors that finally understand where my pains are and they are actively trying different medications, minor out-patient procedures, spinal epidurals (which are heavenly once the meds have a chance to work). A muscle relaxer may help (like Soma). I have a TENS unit which is a portable electric stim unit that is my best friend now.

As for getting immediate pain relief, I suggest heat or ice (whichever feels the best is usually the one to use). I got a small child's size bean bag and layed across it,, face down and it took the pressure off my spine and tailbone immediately. I wish I had a magic fix for you. Keep reading and trying different things (even the ones that seem really stupid lol) and you will come across something that might help.

I will keep you in my thoughts and pray for you (hopefully this doesn't offend you). Keep reaching out for help - especially if you are feeling depressed, alone and hopeless. I went through that and still and battling those feelings but talking with others can definitely help.

Best wishes to you on a speedy recovery and a strong will to get better
    Remember you're not alone. Keep your hope strong!