Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What do you do after your epidurals?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
After you guys get a lumbar epidural, do you take it totally easy and if so for how long?
Also, do you usually get the epidurals on one side only. My doc keeps doing mine on one side, because it hurts more there, even though I have bulging disks and a slightbit of sciatica on my other side (under my butt).

• I've had 2 lumbar and 1 cervical epidural. I try to schedule the injection as early in the day as possible, since you can't eat or drink beforehand, and I take the day off from work. I usually try to move as little as possible and just allow my body to absorb. I go back to work the next day, life as usual.

The last one I had (lumbar), I don't know if she injected to the left of the herniated disc (pain is on left side, herniation to the left) but I actually felt it shoot down my left leg, even somewhat sedated! I was *completely* pain free for 7 days. Then it all came back. But she found the trouble spot...
  • Well considering ive had way too many this year. I just go in, i can eat or drink and then go about my day. I did have a problem today when i got my injections because stupid me, I took Advil for several days before the shots. This is NOT a good thing. Please do not take any blood thinners, aspirin, advil just Tylenol. I did have some leakage and was told to watch out for severe weakness in that bum leg. Thankfully the pain is better and I've had no probs. My dr. gives these injections by floroscope. Also the MRI I had yesterday w/ contrast gives the dr. better understanding of what exactly he needs to do. He can therefore pinpoint the exact spot.The more info the dr. has the better result, hopefully. From previous experience if the injections do not work after floroscope/ MRI w/contrast the chances for surgery are far greater.Hope this helps!
  • I always had to have mine on both sides, and I was told to go home lay down take it easy for a day and lay on ice!

• I have a lot of other health issues, like severe fibro and lupus going, but these injections take a toll on me for about 7-10 days

I had the Pubis Symphysis/Pelvis done on Wednesday....had a good day on Thursday, but took it easy...went shopping on Friday, then yesterday morning I got up a different person. Lidocaine had worn off obviously and the pain set in. I was unable to walk yesterday or today.....pain is about an 8. Feels like I had a 30 lb baby and had all my body parts from waist down torn apart.

I also react the same way with Facet Joint and SI Joint injections. It really takes me a week to 10 days to really feel better. I sleep off the day I have it. I'm very sensitive to meds.

I would not be able to go to work if I did work right now for several more days. DOC says it's a PROCESS and that it reallys takes up to 10 days to fully recover and SEE how much was really helped.

I'm having my STERIOD EMOTIONAL DAY today.......cry, cry, cry.

Like I said.......I'm in extremely POOR HEALTH otherwise so maybe this is the reason, I can't just get them and get up and go like I read so many do.

Anyone else have this kinda long process to go through ?

I want to go water walk to see if that helps.....but my better sense and pain, says........if I can't walk on land right now ....I should just REST.

Hopefully I'll have a great report after several more day...after all I was SHOT directly into the INGUINAL NERVE and PUBIC JOINT /symphysis after all. LOLOLOL
  • Hi SK!

I had one epidural and I stayed in bed for the remainder of the day and the next day was only up to meet physiological needs. I don't know if it helped or not, but the shot didn't. :)
  • I always have mine done on Friday so that I miss one day and have the weekend to rest if need be. When I have it done, I come home and really take it easy for the rest of that day. Ice as necessary.
  • I was going to say pray, and the intention of the epidural is to reduce the pain rather than any intended repair, its coverage is varied for many and for some it does work more effective than others, I have had two and the underlying problem became worse and need surgery, every avenue should be used and should this work for you then and additional invasion option would be reduced as a consequence.

It can take time for the benefits to fully improve and we all wanted good results as a consequence.

This discussion has been closed.