Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My first days of physical therapy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Exercise and Rehab
:O OMG!!! I don't think I've ever been this tired in my whole life. I started PT on tuesday, today was my second day. I am working on core strengthing. Here is my routine:
1. recumbent bike 10 minutes

2. sitting on a big ball...on a cable column, using a straight bar pull downs (eye level to lap 2 sets of 10), then rows (2 sets of 10)

3. leg press 35lbs 3 sets of 10

4. on the same machine...heel raises 3 sets

5. Sitting on a big ball, 2 lb hand weights; 2lb ankle weights....kick outs 2 sets of 10, raise opposite hand & foot 2 sets of ten

6. Quadraped position....lifting opposite hand and leg straight out keeping head in a neutral position (2 sets of 10

7. Planks....on my back keeping my elbows under my shoulders...lift my bottom off the mat, staying straight as a plank. (2 sets of sets)

8. planks....same thing on my belly (2 sets of 10)

9. bridges...feet on a ball (2 sets of 10)

10. squats with a 6lb medicine ball (20)

11. walking with medicine ball 6lb medicine ball (6 minutes))

12. The the PT stretches my legs and 15 minutes of ice and stim.

Now, I have to tell you....I had been to over 100 pt sessions prior to my first surgery. I then continued most of the core and leg strengthing exercises, at a gym I joined. I knew for nearly a year that I would need another surgery, and wanted to be in the best possible shape for recovery. I also began stretching at about 4 weeks post op (with my doctors approval), and then a couple of weeks prior to surgery added some light core strenghtening (again after talking with the doctor). These exercises are not easy, I work hard and work up a sweat. AND...this core strengthening is just the first step in a therapy that will likely last several months.

I also walk, often in my pool. frontwards backwards, side to side. And have a few home esercises the PT gave mt to do at home.

I am exhausted...but very happy to be in this stage of recovery. Is there anyone else just beginning PT? I don't want to compare...because we are all different, but would like to know what others are doing. There are so many diffeent therories and techniques, I'm curious.

• Wow Anna that's a lot. You'll sleep good tonight. Are you having increased pain with all of that? I hope you are feeling fine and just really tired.
  • No increased pain. But, my calfs were very tight the next day. I spent a lot of time stretching, every chance I had. I know that will ease up in time, I went through that the first time I was in therapy. My injury had caused sciatica and numbness in mt feet and very tight calf muscles.
  • I know what that's like. I have the tightness from sciatica in my left calf muscle. When I get up in the morning it feels like my calf is too short for my leg until I walk around some and stretch it out. I had that last time too 3 years ago with just that left leg. It does go way in time.

That's good that it's not causing you pain. You'll be in such great shape with all of that exercising.
  • WOW I am impressed. I had my first pt session yesterday and she massaged (crucified) my back muscles, so now i am black and blue....and i feel awfully weak. It goes to show that all my outer muscles are in massive spasm and obviously this has been enough to help me feel strong. So she has succeeded in making me realise i need to work on my inner muscles lol.

So, for one week all i have to do is the TVA isolation and walking. Then in a week i get the massage again and a few more core exercises.

I will let you know how it progresses from here.

My guess is you probably have a LOT more core stability than me

Go for it.
  • OMG! I remember the so called massage my first time around. My therapist actually used her elbow to break up the tightness in my buttocks. I thought I was going to die. Then she told me I should use a tennis ball every day, just kinda lay on it and roll over the bad spots. I HATE TENNIS BALLS! I did do it and after a while it helped.

So I do feel for you! But stick with it, you will begin to feel better.
    Let me know what come next for you.
  • I finish my 3rd week tomorrow.,and do probably 50-60% of what you posted.My PT told me that my body weight is no longer enough so,will see tomorrow...Kinda scared,but then in a weird way I love the pain after PT.I know my muscles feel better on the following day.Tomorrow the Big Boy weights(2lb) will be forgotten.
    I am really impressed,Anna!Keep it up! ;)
  • Yeah i rolled around on a cricket ball last night ( all the tennis balls were wet!!!!)....ouch, but good ouch. Muscle spasming is my biggest problem at the moment, i need to relax it all so the right muscles start to work. I feel so much weaker now she loosened those muscles.
  • I agree with everyone else. I'm very impressed, Anna.

My former PT told me that walking is the best exercise. It really helps my back. I can't tolerate a treadmill, so I have to walk outside.

But I'm in San Antonio, and it's just too darn hot right now. Otherwise, I would be walking.

I'm also impressed that both Anna and Mchell can tolerate bikes. I haven't been able to do a bike for years. (Maybe it's my fibromyalgia???)
  • The first week of PT is done and seems like we have a successful routine going. Some of the exercises cause nerve burn down my legs while I'm doing them, but that is to be expected with all the damage. I push through and work hard. BUT...I'm not afraid to tell the PT if something hurts or seems way too difficult, and she knows that. I am going away on Monday so asked her for a print out of my stuff, I will do as much as I can at the hotel gym and in the room.

• I agree..no pain..no gain! When it comes to exercise that is. :P I do have a lot more energy and I'm much happier than before. I was beginning to get depressed, :( but now I feel like I can be an active part of my recovery instead of laying around waiting to heal (I know that has to be first).
  • Ok I'm still doing the exercises I started with, I've bumped up all of them to 3 sets of ten. And instead of quadraped opposite arm/leg lift (#6) I do that over a big ball, it is a little harder to keep my balance. I have also added 5 way theraband stretches while sitting on a big ball.

I do a lot of strecthing at home.....my legs are really tight and piriformis stretch helps. I also try to walk in my pool when I can (forwad, backward, and side to side)...I did 20 minutes today.

BTW...I still rest and often nap every afternoon for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. But I'moving more when I'm up.

• Good too see your doing good with your pt.....
  • Hi Anna....good to hear that you are into a routine with your PT. I saw in your first post that you are thinking that your therapy will last several months. I have posted quite a bit about my PT rehab, over the last year and I firmly believe that doing a formal PT back rehab program over an extended period (many months) played a critical role in my recovery.

I sure encourage you to keep at the PT rehab for as long as you can.

Keep up the good progress :D

Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Absolutely. I truly believe that this is just the first step in PT rehab for me. To be honest, I'm fine with that. I know I'm in good hands, I am able to learn new things that I can do to safely bring my recovery along. I am now an active part of my recovery, as opposed to the first few weeks where your only real choice is to rest and wait. (I'm not very good at that)

Don't get me wrong, I still rest quite a bit. I was not prepared for the pace of recovery. I'm the kind of person taht reads about all the good feeling speedy recoveries and belive I too will be back to normal in a month. LOL

My daily routine is still much milder than it was prior to my surgery. And, meds continue to help me through the day. But, when I look back to where I was a month ago....the progress is easy to see, and I'm happy with it.