Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Knee Pain

I am 7 weeks post spinal fusion L5/L4 surgery. Pre-surgery I was very active, running, swimming, biking, etc.. The Surgeon said to walk as much as I could, so I am walking every day 3 to 5 miles. Sometimes in order to pick something up without bending, I will squat in different ways putting pressure on my knees. Because I started feeling the pain a few weeks ago, I rarely squat, I use my grabber. Can walking harm my knees?
Karen Meyer

• b.logginsbb.loggins Posts: 4
    edited 07/19/2015 - 5:59 AM
    This might sound silly, but when I had surgery, I became really good at picking things up with my toes. At one point I was able to straighten up the house with just my feet. I guess the only reason humans don't normally do this is because we're trained socially to use our hands, but after using your feet for a while, you'll get used to it! Plus, you'll have a unique talent that not many people have :)

As far as walking is concerned, your knees might be in pain if your 3-5 miles is less physical activity than you used to do. My knees tend to hurt when I have lazy days, and feel better when I'm more active. Of course, I'm not a doctor or anything, but I'm just speaking as someone who has had the same surgery.

Good luck to you in your recovery!