Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cycling, Endorphins, Recovery

WolfpackSVBWWolfpackSVB Posts: 216
edited 07/19/2015 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Near the tale end of September 2014 I was in bad shape. The pain and numbness was severe and lasted from early morning until the time I went to sleep. There was no respite except for the first hour of the day and eventually that was gone to. Even worse than the pain and numbness was the uncertainty of it all. It was not yet known what my course of action would be, I didn't know if I would lose my arms or if I was destined for a life of medication and failed treatments. I also could no longer use my hands for more than a few minutes at a time. Being a small business owner there is no disability that I could rely on so I would have lost it all.

Here I am, eight months post ACDF and three months post distal clavicle recision and things have turned around dramatically. It wasn't a fast ride but I made it, 15 miles at a 13 mph pace. It was hot, my lower neck was sore and my shoulder hurt but it felt good to get back in the saddle. And an amazing thing happened, even though I wasn't on a hard ride I got a flood of endorphins that washed the pain away. It happened at about mile ten.

I am now resting in my basement, I took two Tylenol just like any normal person would and if the pain stays low this will be a great day.

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,814
    Endorphins are the best
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Better than any drug for sure. I made it until 9pm but had to use a Norco. One Norco is a long ways away from what it was so Ill count my blessing and keep trying.
  • Wolfpack, you should be very proud. Nice to hear good stories, makes me hopeful for a cure. Keep it up!
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    Wow! 15 miles?! That's amazing! I can't imagine how great that must've felt?
    As you know, I have been following your story because we are both are so simular. It gives me great hope!
    I like to think that I get the same feeling because I am now able to walk 6 miles!
    Keep up the good work!
  • Just pure awesomeness! I can't wait to experience that again. I got a little glimpse of it when I did a little 30 minute workout in my garage one day. I'm glad things didn't get aggravated for you. Keep it up Steve, you're doing awesome! Keeps us all hopefull.
  • I'm starting to catch a glimmer of my old self I did twenty at a decent 15 mile-per-hour pace. I rode my usual route the one that has the only known hills in Illinois, that's a joke, saw a hawk circling a corn field and a few rabbits and went past my planned ride to finish up the weekend in good spirits.

While I continue to have no numbness or tingling I hit a pothole in the 1st mile that reminded me that I have a metal plate in my neck. It was a quick sharp pain and the thought of turning back popped in my head but didn't last. I peddled on. I didn't see anything spectacular on this ride like jumping deer or a family of coyotes and my shoulder hurt at the start but that disappeared mid way through the ride. My neck hung out at a level 2 pain, nothing too bad but each time I looked back I was always wondering if an electric zap would come. So I decided to not look back anymore and accept that I will have a small amount of neck pain to deal with for a few more months and possibly life long. But the one jarring did make me decide to have a follow up MRI at month 12.

When I reached the intended turnaround point I thought of my wife and my kids and even a pretty girl in San Diego fighting her way through the same surgery and finally of the person I want to be and decided to continue further. I went past the railroad tracks of the neighboring town and could see the water tower of the following one. I will get that in time.

20 miles is amazing! I'm glad the pothole didn't have any lasting effects?
    I am just so impressed that you are biking! Does your shoulder bother you when you are riding? I am into week 8 after my rotator cuff surgery & I'm nowhere near your level!
    I am kind of stuck in a rut with my walking? I think I need to change my route? Although, I do enjoy knowing where the deer & their babies hang out. And we have a white bunny that lives in our neighborhood. It's always interesting to see how far he wanders.
    Keep up the good work!
    Your progress & encouragement keeps me focused!
    I will continue my walks & try to increase my distance.
  • You do the same for me friend. I feel like I'm 90 but I'm flattered that you think I'm pretty. I think tomorrow you have inspired me to ride my spin bike, as that's the only type of bike I have. I swam yesterday, did some breast stroke, and woke up a bit sore but other wise ok. So we are both slowly getting back to being active old farts. So proud of you!
  • Shoulder surgery is painful as you are well aware. Only in these past few weeks has it noticeably lessened. It was an annoyance pain during the ride but not more than that. It did sneak up on me later that night: "Remember me, no? Well here I am" but I feel good right now.

Keep walking Motor it gets the blood flowing and washes everything out. And if you can push just enough you might catch a wave of endorphins. I again had some pain free riding due to them.