Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does anyone know if you can get a job and be on fentanyl 50 mcg?

I have herniated disc L4-5, S1, DDD, Nerve damage on both legs , depression. Medication: Gabapentin 300 mg -3xdaily, baclofen 10 mg -3xdaily, zoloft 25 mg- once a day, Fentanyl patch 50 mcg- patch on 72 hrs. Series of injections.

I'm currently unable to afford surgery at this time. I have my own business online ebay. My husband does work and provides for us and i use his insurance, but with bills and doctors appointment . I need to return to work but I worry if i can get a job ? i know employers are not to discriminate against someone who has a prescription or has health problems. i am qualified to work some jobs i have seen hiring,the reason i worry is i can tell by my eyes that i'm on my medication ,my pupils are very small. with that will i be able to get a job?
Gwen loft

• Thank you so much I really need to hear someone else point to view. I plan on reading that book as well, thank you
    Gwen loft
  • No-one could tell when I was using the fentanyl patches. I had friends who were medicated in the past & I assumed they could tell...No! One day they told me how strong I was because they'd be taking pain medications if they were me! It's your business. Be very careful talking about anything very, very private at work until you really know them. Sometimes the really 'friendly' people your first few weeks aren't the people you'll become friends with.
    Meds list "Be careful operating machinery etc until you know how they will effect you". Stick by that! Best of luck in your job search. There are many medicated, working spineys. People have to live!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Gloft,

I was in the same boat but even more critical in the sense that my wife does not work. I took a gamble along with my PM and we hit the opiates hard when the pain was at its greatest, 60mg base plus 8 10mg percocet each day. I made it but it was difficult. It took a lot of energy to keep the dizziness away. One thing I did is that I only made important decisions when I was in low pain and when the narcotics were low in my system. I also stayed away from business meetings when in pain or when heavily on narcotics. I did most of my important work and critical decisions between 8 - 12. I tried to align manual type stuff to do in the afternoons. I also wrote my own self a letter about why I was taking them and that I would review the decision every three months.

With that being said I was not at my best last year. There is no doubt that my performance dropped. The best way to explain it would be to say that I went from an A+ student to a B student. It is very easy to do or say something stupid when on the narcotics so be careful. I made it and you can too but plan out some rules and stick with them. No divorces when on heavy Meds either.

No one needs to know that you are on narcotics. Keep your mouth closed and use Spine-Health to vent. If you find you have a hard time doing that throw in a joke or two about them like "Got to go hit my Percs" but don't ever tell an employer that you use them. If you start to feel like everyone knows then go read the book called "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoevsky and you will realize that it is all in your own head unless you tell them.

Cheers and best of luck.
  • Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,904
    edited 08/02/2015 - 2:15 PM
    I was a pilot and law enforcement officer, and both sides of my profession, narcotics is a big no-go! Can't carry a gun on me, nor fly (FAA medical standards). I had to retire....fortunately I had the time in, so was able to! Hope that helps.

My other career fields I was knocked out of....
    Electrical (meds and metal in my body)
    Aircraft maintenance (meds)
    Instructing (meds)

My meds (4 years now) Fentanyl 50 for pain maintenance, 4mg Dilauded every 4 hours as needed-for break through, Lyrica for nerve pain, 300mg daily.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.