Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Day 3 Post Op lower lumbar surgery

SproutSSprout Posts: 29
edited 07/20/2015 - 6:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Short history. Battling back issues for 5 years continuously. I've had 5 opinions, did physio with 4 different companies, exercised for 2 years, cupping, acupuncture, traction, 2 epidurals and still struggling. After my 4th MRI, I have:

Discogenic disease, spondylosis, diffuse posterior disc bulges and facet joint arthropathy at L4/L5 & L5/S1.
Moderate degree of end plate osteitis @ L4/L5 secondary to chronic discovertebral trauma. L5/S1 has a central radial annular tear. Levoscoliosis

Friday July 17th I had surgery. Initially we were going with Spinal fusion, but seeing 90% of my pain was in my right leg we decided to go with a discectomy, spinal decompression as well as open up the space around my S1 nerve root.

Unfortunately, my S1 nerve root was firing like crazy whenever he tried to move it to work so he couldn't shave much off the discs, but he got everything else done. I came out of a 3 hour surgery with all of the pain in my right leg gone. :). I stayed in over night for observation where I walked to the bathroom by myself etc and was discharged the next day.

I'm home now. It took 2 days for it to not burn when I passed urine from the catheter. Nerve pain in the leg fluctuates between 95-100% gone which I call success so far. I have very slight soreness around the incision which is about half a finger length long. I have dissolvable sutures so I've been able to shower, I get up and walk every hour or so with my brace on and have walked 30 mins one time so far. My instructions are to lay down and walk for 6 weeks. If I sit, it can only be 20 mins at a time and I must wear my brace. At 6 weeks I'll start therapy and at the 2 month mark I should be back to work. :)
"I would not change you for the world, but I'd change the world for you!"

--Autism Awareness--

• Here is a picture of the incision. I keep a patch over it all day and change it after showering. I was not on any pain killers the night of my surgery. Only antibiotics and fluids.

--Autism Awareness--
  • I like hearing success stories... So happy to hear you are doing so well! I am 6 years into my back problems, 4 full thickness annular tears in my T5-T8 regions. I am still up in the air about surgery myself. Success stories like yours really make me want to just dive in and do it... I am fearful that it may be worse after surgery...
  • SproutSSprout Posts: 29
    edited 07/20/2015 - 6:42 AM
    I was really worried myself. Especially when we were going the rods and pins route with fusion. I saw the list and it was $32,000.00 in titanium (12 screws, 2 rods, cage, putty and cross brace). Glad I chose this route which seems to be a good idea. There's a 30% chance I may need fusion in the next 10 years, but there's also a 70% chance I won't. In addition, that's 20 more years for the medical field to advance and my kids to grow. I submitted another post just waiting for a moderators approval.

Good luck and all the best :)

--Autism Awareness--
  • I hope your success stays and is permanent. We all deserve a break from the pain.
  • Thanks!!! I hope so as well. I have to be very mindful of what I do because it was because of me being a busy body doing stuff I shouldn't that got me in this predicament. I put up a 90ft wooden fence in our backyard by myself when I felt my back give and would not stop until it was done. Ended up in the ER afterwards :-/

--Autism Awareness--
  • Definitely take it easy...
  • Man I'm happy for you! I have a very good friend that had something similar to you about 8 years ago and he is still doing great. I wish you the same wellness and success.
  • SproutSSprout Posts: 29
    edited 07/20/2015 - 1:03 PM
    Thanks everyone! Very much appreciated. The 3 procedures were:
    2) foraminotomy
    3) spinal decompression.

Today I was a bit sore, but not too bad. :)

--Autism Awareness--