Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Closing hole after MicroD Xclose

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This was just on the news here. It's a new procedure where they use two tension bands and put them over the hole where the herniation is and the rate of herniation after this is only 1%. Here is the link. Has anyone heard of this? My surgeon said he could see the hole when he was in there doing my microD. I wish he had used this Xclose since mine herniated again in just 6 days. I want to get this done.

Here is a link: http://www.anulex.com/anulex_technology/xclose.asp

• This procedure sounds interesting, but I would be hesitant to try anything until more information is available. By that I mean follow-up repost on patients who
    had this done to them. Is it a permanent solution, how does re-herniation rate compare to that of the traditional method. Also, most likely surgeons don't have much experience with it. When I select a surgeon, to me it is reassuring to know that he/she had done a lot of similar surgeries with a good success. But who knows, this may become mainstream in a few years.

• That's true it's really new so who knows long term. It was just approved by the FDA in 2006.

I think things like is it going to stay in place attached to the disc for the rest of my life or could it break loose and cause more problems. It sounds awesome in looking at it but I'd like to know the cons of it seems like everything has some sort of con that can happen.

From what I read about it there is only a 1% chance of reherniation after having this done compared to 25% without. That was said by a doctor who was promoting it though. But it does make me feel hopeful. I wish I could get more information on it.
  • Michelle,

Did you look at the literature on this subject? If you can's find anything on this site, go to some other sites. I also would go to a university medical library, if you live close to one. It would be worthwhile to ask other doctors, if you have access to any.

One thing about spinal surgery, the are always coming up with something new, so it is good to keep an eye on articles describing new procedures.

• In doing more research on it the info I found was that they can only use it if no surgery has been already done. I wonder why if they mean a micro or if they are referring to fusion which is obvious as to why they couldn't then but I wonder if they also mean if a micro was already done that they couldn't use the Xclose then.