Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

96 Hour Post Op after 2-Level Cervical Disc Arthroplasty (Disc Replacement)

spaceaholicsspaceaholic Posts: 8
edited 08/08/2015 - 9:16 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am a 53 Y/O male, C-4/C-5/C-6 diagnosed with severe stenosis late last year (detected via MRI). Initially advised by [edit] to get ACDF (fusion); after researching and engaging with [edit] (Phoenix) was lashed up with Dr [edit] who was qualified to perform 2 level arthroplasty utilizing the LDR Mobi-C prosthesis (this is a device only recently FDA approved for 2 level application).

Surgery conducted this past Friday (17 July 2015) at [edit] - 3 hours in duration. Only post operative medication requirement to this point has been NSAID's to inhibit the possibility of Heterotopic ossification (HO); had no significant post operative pain, just some swallowing difficulty (normal) from manipulation of the esophageal pathway and minor rear neck discomfort. In my case no collar was needed, within 3 hours post op, out of the bed and making 10 circuits around the nursing floor, 18 hours post-op discharged home. 24 hours post-op walked a mile course around our neighborhood and had full pre-operative range of motion.

Incision swelling peaked at 48 hours. Now 96 hours only apparent reminant effects of operation are the visible scar and complying with physician guidance to allow healing -- these include 10 pound lift restriction for next couple of weeks, lots of walking (will not be able to return to daily 2 mile swims for several weeks). Given that all feels normal, its going to be difficult constraining my activities but recognized its important to ensure the disc replacements are fully/properly integrated into the spine.

So far the experience of surgery and post operative outcome have far exceeded expectations - as I was walking around the recovery ward only hours after surgery, able to fully turn my head unencombered by collar or pain, Isaw many patients that were bed/hard collar bound having undergone ACDF days prior. Am so gratified that I was able to benefit from Disc Arthroplasty.