Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DakincaidDDakincaid Posts: 21
edited 07/22/2015 - 12:33 PM in Pain Medications
Just got a script for Tiizanidine to help the muscle pain and si joint pain. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this?

• I'm taking Tizanidine HCL 4mg twice a day for the last two years. Muscle relaxer for spinal injuries,i have
    ACDF C 5-6,C 6-7 it doesn't give me any side effects and days i don't take it i can feel the difference, it helps me.I don't know how it works for anything else but for me it works. I started with 2mg at the beginning and the second month my PM dr raise it to 4mg until now!
    June 2013 Car Accident,i suffer blunt abdominal trauma and had surgery.
    june 21 2013 ACDF C 5-6,6-7
    August 27 2013 rotator cuff surgery
    june 3 2015 abdominal incisional hernia.All kind of pain killers,opiates,epidurals and disable for life.
  • I was on Tizanidine for a while because I thought my previous med (cyclobenzaprine) wasn't working. I tried it and it didn't do anything for my muscle pain. I went back to the cyclobenzaprine a month ago.
    Tracie C
  • All it did was knock me out, didn't help my spasms whatsoever. I'm currently taking Skelaxin in the day time, and Soma at nighttime.
  • Joy_in_INJJoy_in_IN Posts: 9
    edited 08/07/2015 - 2:27 AM
    I have been taking tizanidine for the last four years for my back and muscle spasms. I take it at night because it does tend to make my tired. I am able to take it during the day if I encounter spasms that cannot be relieved during sitting or minimizing activity.

I did try skelaxin previously and found no benefit with that, so if you find that the medication provides no relief do not hesitate to try something else as recommended by your physician.
    Chronic pain, Degenerative Disc Disease, Fibromyalgia, Hip Replacement Surgeries (Right/3x), Osteoarthritis, Sciatica (R), Spinal Stenosis, Spondylolisthesis, and Synovial Cysts
  • SbmargoSSbmargo Posts: 1
    edited 11/22/2015 - 7:05 PM
    I've been taking 2mg Tizanidine at night for nerve pain that causes cramps and twitching in my leg that has nerve damage (the beginnings of drop foot from spinal injury). It helps me sleep (makes me drowsy), but I'm not sure how much less twitching I get. It does give me dry mouth like mad. I don't take it every night. I'm terrified of addiction. I'm from a long line of addicts.
    Does anyone else take it for nerve damage?
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,459
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• It didn't do anything for me :(
  • bad luckbbad luck Posts: 11
    edited 12/08/2015 - 4:39 PM
    I take it some (the 4's), but it does make me sleepy.
    When I first started taking it, I had better have been in bed or near bed as it would simply drop me!!

My side effects:
    -tired/sleepy--not a day time option
    -dry mouth
    -like many other nerve affecting drugs, this can affect the male sex life.....
  • I was just switched to this from baclofen. So far I can tell a difference with it.
  • I've taken it for probably 6-8 months now. It helps me a lot. It was the only relaxer that ever worked for me. It does make you sleepy though.
  • I have been prescribed this stuff in the past. It was somewhat effective for the pain because it tended to knock me out. Not too dissimilar to Benzos. Every now and then I will take one if my back muscles start to go into spasm after a long swim. I have also taken them to help me get to sleep. IMO definite potential for abuse, but I have an addictive personality.
    Osteochondrosis S1
    Herniation L4/5, L5/S1
    Lumbar straightening
  • Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 88
    I have been taking tizanidine for several months now. Can't tell if it's making a difference or not, though.
    Kieran Lee
     "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the
    brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do
    not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.''-Anonymous

• I tried it years ago did nothing to help but now I have my calf's knotting up so may ask for something from GP this week since he has suggested it before. In looking at my past record keeping it did make me really tired.

Good luck Sherri

• Was prescribed this last week. Titrated up to 4mg 3x/day and like most other muscle relaxers it's done absolutely nothing for me, didn't even get the side effects. I've tried Skelaxin, Flexeril, Baclofen, Tizanidine and Soma and so far the Soma is the only thing that works but many Dr.'s are reluctant to prescribe it.

Tizanidine isn't cited as recreational in any literature I can find. Most abusable drugs will at least make it to Schedule IV and tizanidine isn't scheduled at all. At most it's probably as abusable as Benadryl.