Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions about DURAGESIC (Fentanyl Patches)

drewsicle3210ddrewsicle3210 Posts: 1
edited 07/23/2015 - 10:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
LOWER BACK/HIPS/KNEES/SHOULDERS/WRISTS
I was an Airborne Infantryman and a Combat Medic. Jumping out of airplanes brought me to this point.

I had bilateral open hip surgeries in late 2012 while I was in the military.
I got out on a medical retirement after almost 10 years of service in OCT 2014. I have been struggling with pain management since the surgeries in 2012.
I took Tramadol back in 2012-2013, but those turned out to be very bad for me. I loved to take them, they made me feel good, I got addicted, and I had issues coming off.
No other narcotic/opioid has ever done that to me.

SO HERE WE GO....

I was on 100 mg hydrocodone daily, with no pain relief after 6 months.
The next move was morphine sulphate extended release, 60mg BID, with 6 tabs of the 10mg hydrocodone. The morphine made me crazy as [edit], I mean insane. I thought my wife was cheating on me, and that everyone was out to get me. I don't know, so don't ask. And I developed some crazy acne/rash all over my body.
We quickly stopped the Morphine, and my wife asked my provider to taper me off of pain meds. The provider came up with some ridiculous taper that lasted only two weeks, and she didn't prescribe any additional medications to help with withdrawals. The first step was 9 tabs of 10mg Hydrocodone for three days. I was withdrawing for those three days something fierce. The next move was 6 tabs a day (you see where this is going?) for three days. NO BUENO.
I just showed up at her office and let her know that I am not doing it. I have severe hip and back pain, and I am not going to go through withdrawals just to see where my pain lands. On day 4 of this, I was already unable to walk down the 4 steps at my house.

So, she prescribed the 25mcg/h duragesic (fentanyl patch) and up to 6 hydrocodones a day.
Now, I need those hydrocodones for the pain relief, but I only took them for the first couple of days. I wanted to give the patch a chance to see where I am at. And my pain is still about a 7-8/10, so I have requested a bump in the patch dosage. I think 50mcg/h will knock the pain down to at least a 5/10, which is good enough for me. And if that is the case, then I can just keep the hydrocodone for when it gets too bad. I don't want to keep slamming that Tylenol through my liver.

They gave me a home Narcan kit, and having been a medic I have no problem figuring out how to use it.

Questions:
How long does it take for tolerance to build?
What happens when I have nowhere else to move up to as far as pain meds?
How will I know that the patch has leaked too much and I need to rip it off or use the Narcan? (they made me paranoid by giving me that kit)
Is alcohol ok?
Can I take it off when I go to sleep and put it back on?
Can I stretch them out to 4 days, so I can have a few extra in case something happens with my refills? (the VA mails the [edit] to me)

I would also like to hear any anecdotal evidence to their effectiveness and/or harmfulness.

Thanks,
Drew

Nobody on the forum is medically qualified or permitted to give advice any responses will be based on members personal experiences only

US Army Disabled Veteran
-Andrew
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,904
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

liz

Savage

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

awalsh

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • MarleysmamaMMarleysmama Posts: 1
    edited 07/31/2015 - 2:46 AM
    If someone has never been on a fentanyl patch before, doctors will usually start at the lowest dose. After being assaulted, l ended up in excruciating back pain. It hurt to move and l cried every time l had to sit in a chair. The patch saved me from that awful dark pit that comes with being in chronic pain. It took some time to get the dosage corrected, but once we got it right l rarely needed breakthrough medications. Fentanyl is such a powerful med that many doctors are afraid to prescribe it. I'm an RN who has heard of people dying trying to get all of the medication in the patch at once. I was on it for a total of 3 years (during that time l had several surgeries for breast cancer) so my PM doc agreed not to try to wean me off until after that was completed. I would strongly suggest that you get the Mylan brand patches. They are more expensive, but in my opinion they stay on better & are more effective. I would try to hold off taking any of your breakthrough meds until the patch begins to work. After the first 6 months, l could definitely notice more pain on the 3rd day of wearing the patch, then after a year l noticed that day 3 was not effective at all. After speaking to the pharmacist, she recommended going to 48* & that many patients need to change patch every 2 days when they have been on it. My PM did a very safe, slow wean and l felt no side effects or withdrawals that l feared. I hope this helps!

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    Please know that what works for one may not for another.

My experience is that alternate about every year or year and half, from fentanyl patch 75 mcg/ hr, then off that and onto OxyContin one twice a day, year or so , back to the patch.

This has been many years now and both medications have remained effective for me.
    I have never been given a narcan kit.

The point of the patch is to keep it on always. Not to remove at night.
    The medication continues to work and to run out of medication requiring new patch on third day.
    I took med as prescribed and never tried to get fourth day from it.
    If the medication ever becomes ineffective for me, doctor has plans B,C, etc....but I'm in no hurry to change.

I rarely take breakthrough medication. I choose to eliminate many activities. I want that med to remain effective, also.

The only trouble I had with patch was that it would, by itself, start to peel off too early.
    I called the manufacturer and they sent me large supply of Tegaderm, clear tape like covering, to keep patch in place.
    Sent free of charge since I was on their product!

Other precautions I can think of, would be to stay away from hot baths, steams, etc.... They tend to release too much medication into your system at one time. Besides absorbing too much, the patch will dry out and run out early, before the three days. Doctor would want to know why patches are not lasting the prescribed usage amount.

I did not and do not drink. I would read information accompanying med or ask doctor before drinking. There may be a limit if allowed.

I have never had to be weened off a med or had a taper nor any withdrawal.

I wish you the very best with your pain management.
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History