Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Here's a question....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
How long, generally, do we need to be cautious after surgery worrying about re-herniation. Is this an always thing, or are we talking weeks, months... years... etc. I know it varies, but do we have any onfo on averages?

• What type of surgery did you have?

I had a microdisc - I really watched it for a month. You need to give your muscles time to heal too.

I am five months post op - still not moving furniture, but I do the laundry/shopping/housework with no problems.
  • I think I just need to slowly start resuming my normal daily routines, and very cautiously and slowly ramp up on my exercises, have to strengthen the lower back... being out of shape is how I hurt myslef in the first place.

I doubt I'll be moving any furniture or (this is how I hurt it) cutting up any trees in the near future. :)
  • Hello again...I had my micro on 12/21 I do ok lifting stuff that is not too heavy. I still have good and not so good days. Just becareful and don't push too hard but definitely push a little so you strengthen. It is hard to know what too much is. If yo find the answer or uncover the secret let me know. :)

• I hope to go back to playing soccer,tennis,etc.At the same time,trying to prepare myself for a life time of "watching it"
    But then,Mother Nature can be a real B***H sometimes.Who knows what will trigger a herniation?A sneeze sounds scary,doesn't it?

Watch it guys!G. 8)
  • I wish there were some "secret". :( Sounds like it's probably different for each of us. I'm just glad to be able to return to life in general... certain activities have been curtailed for far too long! The rest will come in time. As long as I have a teenager (turns 13 in 3 weeks!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: )to cut the grass and help around the yard and such... I should be good.
  • great question, I think all of us will always subconsiously think about are ordeal and be some what indiminated by the pain we indure for so long...
    But heres the up side, I have a very liberal DR and at 31/2 months after a 360 fusion with hardware I was released to do all activities, He said if it hurts dont do it DUHHHHH. But I bowled a game at 3month 3 weeks and hhad a little pain in my legs but nothing serious, hope that helps....
  • Gave me that release yesterday after 4 weeks post op... same warning. I'm very gun shy at this stage,... might be a while before I go golfing or chop any firewood.
  • I golfed at 4 month's, but slow and steady, listen to your body and build up your core muscles, this helps support the spine and less pressure on the remainding disc.....ask the Dr for some core exercise's...
    and what kind of surgery did you have?
  • Had a discectomy,... pretty simple stuff I guess. If there is such a thing. As far as core exercises, I have a program that my PT put together for me before I had surgery. And according to the Dr. I can start working on that as soon as I htink I'm ready.