Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion Surgery

Hello everyone! I have posted on this board numerous times and have gotten great advice from people. I have recently reconfirmed with my pain management doctor that I have cervical and lumbar spondylosis. I had an accident many years ago where I sandwiched in half- my feet hit my head when I fell snowboarding. I fell with my hands out but it didn't really break my fall; my neck was turned to the left and then my board proceeded to almost touch the ground where my head was. I have always had lower back pain but thought nothing of it since I was active as a child. However. last year (June '14) my neck started to act up as well. I thought nothing of it until I had a kidney infection and neither the lower back pain nor neck pain went away. Since then I have had trouble walking, sitting and standing for long periods, bending, lifting, twisting, even lying down comfortably. etc; basically anything that requires you to use your lower back. I started all conservative treatments last year after I had my gallbladder removed in July. From physical therapy (still in progress) NSAIDS, anti-inflammatories, oral steroids (metholpredisolone) muscle relaxers, epidural steroid injections (was awake for my first 4 in my lumbar spine) narcotics, and now its Cymbalta 60 MG; everything that the doctors tell you to do to function normally again and nothing has worked for me. If anything, the pain is much worse than it was a year ago. I have seen 10 different doctors, from orthopedists, neurologists, neurosurgeons, to rheumatologists. My current pain management doctor and neurologist know each other so they are keeping tabs on me together and they recommended me to a different neurosurgeon than I have seen in the past; as the former dismissed it as a connective tissue disorder. I am supposed to be seeing the new neurosurgeon for the consultation next week and I am hopeful, even though I told them I needed fusion surgery a year ago before I got fired from my job. I have done everything I was told to do and nothing has improved so I am going to push for cervical and lumbar fusion surgery. I was just wondering if anyone has had both of these surgeries done. Has it improved your quality of life and if so how? As it is, I can't work, or function to do the activities of daily living. I know that these surgeries have their risks like any other, maybe even more so, but I would love to go for long walks again and play golf. I also know that recovery is rough but I am willing to go through this so I can have my life back. If anyone has any advice or a story they would like to share with me about fusion surgery, good or not so, I would love to hear it! I appreciate everything in advance!!

Alex C.

• My fusion blog is there!

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
  • Hi Alex!! I am so sorry that you are in pain!! I just had a L5-S1 PLIF. I must say the recovery is rather tough! But now that I am 8 weeks post op I must say that my neeve pain comes and goes! I can now basically go a week without nerve pain! Granted my back still hurts a lot but oh well. I would have to say that this surgery has improved my quality of life so far! I pray that you are pain free soon!!!!
    L5-S1 Emergency PLIF Revision May 26th 2015
    L5-S1 PLIF May 22nd 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Feb 27th 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Oct 30th 2014.