Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

dufiaddufia Posts: 3
edited 07/24/2015 - 4:29 PM in New Member Introductions

I'm Konrad, 25. I live in the UK but my English isn't my native tongue so excuse me if I make any mistakes. I would like to introduce myself, tell you about my spine problem and maybe seek an advice or an opinion.

I always was lowing active life, playing all kinds of sports for fun, doing martial arts, began lifting weights at age 17. At age 20 I was in great shape. I guess its worth to mention that I had accident when I was about 12. I hurt my lower back and I spent a week or two in bed, basically couldn't walk. I began working as a chef, It never was too serious but money is money.

So over two years ago, after an MRI scan I was diagnosed with "small disc protrusion at L5-S1 causing localised thecal impingment". When this happened I was already many months in strong pain at my lower back. I was doing physiotherapy but with little effects, OK, It was helping a little but not even close to allow me to get back to normal life. I was a chef, so you can imagine its pretty much long hours everyday on your feet, bending, kneeing, lifting etc. I went part-time at work but It was very hard, basically I was forcing myself to work and then I was resting until next shift. Not very promising. Then I went sick and stopped working at all, hoping that more rest and doing physiotherapy would eventually help.

I decided to start learning programming and I did. At this time, I couldn't sit for over half hour, couldn't stand either. I got myself a laptop bed stand and I would lay in bed almost all day. This was only comfortable position I could find myself in, anything else would only cause the pain to get worse and than even laying in bed would hurt. I would do about 1-2h of exercises twice a day, I would do maybe a small shopping every few days, some walking here and there. Once I went to see my relatives and I sat on the sofa for about 4 hours and than I had to walk back home, It was a horrific experience. Sometimes my back didn't hurt that much and I allowed myself to be a little more active, after a day or two I always ended hurting myself and going back to bed...

I did this for way over a year... All this time I didn't want any strong painkillers or stuff, I don't trust this stuff as I saw my mother getting addicted to it. I also was scared that if I hide the pain, I would hurt myself more. At some point a got a good job offer to make a website and I did, a lot of time in bed, trying to forget about the back pain. Depression was there, you know how it works. After I finished the job I was suggested that I could try steroid injections because my back isn't "bad enough" for surgery.

I wanted to give the exercises one more shot but this time, trying not to hurt myself in the process, I also added some stuff that my physiotherapist didn't suggest. Obviously I was doing normal stretches, planks, you know but I also began doing dead-lift like, squat like movements. I started without any weights but then I began adding a little every week. Week after week I would add 2.5-5kg to the point I could use actual weightlifting bar(I have weights at home). I could feel my back getting stronger, bending causing less and less pain. I could actually sit, I could stand, walk. I began doing pushups, pull-ups. Really, deadlifts helped tremendously, within 2 months I was doing 50kg deadlift without any pain. Adding weighted planks for good measure.

I decided that as I am getting better and I want to get my life back I will need to try to move forward. I went back to part-time job as a chef. I am 4 weeks in doing about 10-15 hours a week in two-three shifts. I couldn't believe it, just a little bit of pain, nothing major. You know, at some point I lost all hope that I would be able to be working let alone lifting weights and getting back in shape. Last week I ended dead-lifts at 75kg, no pain during or after exercises.

The pain in my lower back is almost gone and I don't feel it most of the time. I am getting pretty active, but being very careful. Unfortunately I just began getting other symptoms. Surprisingly laying down began being uncomfortable instead of sitting/standing/walking. Especially laying on my side, somehow feel very tense down there. I also began feeling pain at my lower belly. Previously I also had lower belly pain, but only when I had really bad days. Sometimes I feel a tension down my gluteus muscles, couple times I felt something going down my left leg. I am afraid that it might be a begging of sciatica. I began researching and I realised I might have a little Anterior Pelvic Tilt. I always had tightness in my hips and I am now trying to focus the exercises on it.

If the new symptoms won't go away in a week or two I will get an appointment with my physiotherapist. I will most likely slow down a little with deadlifts. At the moment, I am feeling pretty good, I went a long way and I wish to keep the positive attitude. Was nice to tell someone who know how it feels, wish me good luck!

• ivymiivym Posts: 278
    edited 07/24/2015 - 5:02 PM
    I am not a Dr but I strongly suggest no dead lifts. I have read many a post from people who are here because of dead lifts.
  • dufiaddufia Posts: 3
    edited 07/25/2015 - 6:45 AM
    ivym said:
    I am not a Dr but I strongly suggest no dead lifts. I have read many a post from people who are here because of dead lifts.

Sure thing, I believe deadlifts can be harmful. Especially if someones back is already a little "off" in some way and the exercise is done incorrectly . On the other hand, I saw many people say, the deadlifts and squats helped them recover from spine issues. Not to mention probably millions people who do them without any issues...

I am not going to say: if you have back problems, do deadlifts. Everyone is different. I can tell, it is helping me. My back feels stable, "secured". As far as I know, when strong muscles are there, even hurt disc has it "easier", less pressure is put on the disc, you feel less pain. Like I said before, at some point I couldn't do much, I spent all day in bed, some days I had trouble putting my socks on... At first, doing the movement even without any weights wasn't easy but week after week it was improving and I am sure the deadlift helped me.

Even clicking went away, my lower back used to click when I was hyperextending, now it doesn't. I will for sure update on my back later.

Please keep in mind, what works for one patient may be harmful to another. Its always good to hear what others have tried, but before you try it on yourself, contact your doctor
  • is so very important Good luck and keep in touch!

• Hey. I just want to make a little update. I am literally pain-free and I feel great. It took months but deadlifts helped, my body healed and adjusted.