Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminectomy/Discectomy scheduled. looking for thoughts.

My story, quick version. I am 40, male. 18 months ago had severe lower back pain. I have a history of disk degeneration and have had two neck surgeries. I had an MRI of the lumbar region that showed bulged disks at L3, L4, L5, along with stenosis.

July 9th of this year I had a 2nd MRI after lower back pain literally put me on my back for 10 days. This MRI showed a now ruptured disk at L3, and degenerative disk bulge changed from previous MRI at L4, L5, and S1 as well as moderate canal stenosis and “Spondylolisthesis” (confused if this is something separate). Also noted is considerable facet arthropathy at L4 and L5.

Went to Orthopaedic Associates of Michigan to review newest MRI and what to do about it all. Here is what the doc wants to do:
• Laminectomy from L3 down to the sacrum (which I think means to S1 or including S1)
• Decompression which means the hardware (does this mean fusion?)
• Discectomy

Result would mean a 3-4 hour surgery, a 3-4 day stay in the hospital, 12 weeks of wearing a back brace and 12+ weeks of recovery.

Needless to say I am quite scared. I don’t want surgery to be honest but when logic sporadically does come to mind fixing this surgically makes sense. However the fear is mostly taking over at the moment. Surgery is not scheduled until August 31st.

This said, I never experience nor have I ever experienced any pain in either leg. My pain is strictly lower back more to the left than the right. When the pain is at its worst it’ll take my breathe away. It feels as if I am being torn apart at the bottom of my spine. When like this, all I can do is lay and lay still. That said, the pain is not always like this, it can go nearly away. When it does I still feel as if structurally there is just something off. Its hard to explain but it just feels crunchy.

My questions include:
• I have never had any pain shots, cortisone, etc.
• I have never had PT
• Does the above surgery seem excessive in the fact I have never had any other treatments leading up to the surgery.
• Are the other non-surgical options just delaying the inevitable?

Currently I am on 60 to 80 mg a day of Percocet. Muscle relaxers haven’t done me any good.

I am getting a 2nd opinion from another surgeon in a week or so.

Thoughts, ideas?