Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5S1 Fusion Experience?

Would just like to know how effective this was after a complete discectomy, and how did it effect your life in general?

Thanks1
advertisement

Comments

• I went through this, 4 years had a Micro-D. Leg/foot pain and was relieved immediately after the procedure, fast forward to January of this year and long story/short had a fusion done on the same level. However my symptoms were much worse this time around, leg/foot pain but also weakness which is what you DON'T want to happen. I had the pain for about a month before my fusion but it wasn't crippling until the last week or so. My Ortho had me in surgery within 48 hours of seeing the MRI. S1 compressed nerve root caused most of my issues, been in therapy to try and regain strength in right leg/foot. Best advice is to not wait, luckily I'm pain free since the fusion but it wasn't a walk in the park either. A much more involved procedure than the Micro-D but I'm glad I had it done. I don't think I had much of a choice anyway, no amount of therapy or injections were going to fix what I had. Just be prepared for a longer recovery period and good luck, keep us posted.
  • I have had severe leg pain and weakness for a year and a half, and finally just got the Micro-D done, but there is thought I may have already reherniated, so after a MRI, if it shows I have, he wants to do a fusion, so I want to be prepared ahead of time for what that will mean for me. Will I lose mobility? Additional pain that was worse/same as before, etc?
  • While I don't have any experience with a Micro - D , I did have double level 360 fusion last year.
    I choose to pursue conservative treatments, Chiro & PT, for almost 10 years before finally going the fusion
    route. This ,after consulting with 4 Orthopedic surgeons over a period of 4 years who all recommended the same
    path.
    I was in OR for 3 hours, walking in the hospital the next morning and out in 3 days. As for PT, I walked 2-3 miles / day
    for the next 7 weeks. No formal PT as my Dr. felt it would do more harm than good.
    I was back to work in 10 weeks and to the Gym in 12.
    Now , fast forward almost 1 year I'm doing well. I'm back to all pre surgical physical activities including golf,weight training & biking. In the AM I have alittle stiffness and my range of motion is really only slightly limited. However , I can live with these
    small sacrifices!
    Would I do it again , a resounding YES!
    Hope this Helps!!
    Bilateral L5 spondylolysis L5 with grade I anterolisthesis L5-S1.
    Stable multilevel degenerative spondylosis contributing to mild canal
    narrowing L2-3 and L3-4.
    360 ALIF & PLIF L-4 - S-1 on 8/11/14
    Regards
    Eric