Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

scared mommy facing surgery....reality check needed

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

About 18 years ago, I was in a bad car accident. The ER dr. told me I hurt my neck, put me in a collar, and sent me home. About six months ago, I started limping, my hand stopped working, I fall all the time, it's as though my right side decided it wasn't going to listen anymore. So, I went to a GP so I could have a brain MRI (tumor anyone??). When that came out clean, I went to a chiropractor who took neck films and didn't lay a hand on me, thank God. He sent me straight to a neurologist who thought I had MS.
Short story long, I had a C-Spine MRI and apparently this is all from two discs (C5-6) bulging, bone spurs going into my spinal cord, and something else, it's kind of a blur. So, she has made an appointment for me with a neurosurgeon next week. She said surgery is imminent and necessary in the immediate future and not do do anything that may jar my neck in any way.
Sorry for rambling, but these are my questions. I don't know if we're looking at a fusion situation yet or a discectomy. I have a husband who is a truck driver and is home five days a month. I also have four children ranging ages 2-14 years old. What am I looking at in recovery time, what to expect, what I am not going to be allowed to do, what may be ok, can I cook for my family, do I need to quit smoking, (for the surgery, not my health please :)
I am going to ask the surgeon most of these questions, but I will lose my skull thinking the worst. I'm ready to make a month's worth of food and stick it in the freezer...lol.
Anyway, please forgive me and if you can help, please do. Thank you in advance and God bless!!

• I am not a necky but one thing I know is that you have a fusion?, the smoking has to go. Sorry.
    For me?, I happened to quit last year so I understand the stress from that.
    Wait until you talk to the surgeon. He or she will give you the time table for recovery and the restictions.
    Good luck and if you made it this far, it is going to be a lot better now that they know what to do to give you your life back.
    Besides, there is lots of support here for sure!! :)
    Good Luck!
  • Either way it would be good to go ahead and cook at least 2 weeks of meals ahead. Either surgery requires no bending, Lifting or Twisting for awhile. Good Luck and keep us posted on the outcome.