Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Symmetrical numbness in back, both legs and both arms??

arial01aarial01 Posts: 10
edited 07/31/2015 - 7:07 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi, new to the forum and looking for help! I've had L5-S1 spondylolethesis for 14 years. In the last year after giving birth to twins, the spondy has moved to a Grade 3 (with L5 pars defect, severe bilateral forminal stenosis). I've had pain that I've managed with multiple PT sessions over the years, the latest PT session going on the last 10 weeks.

3 weeks ago I was jogging with my dog and we were approached by an off leash dog - I don't remember my back or neck being jerked at all, but since then I have had numbness in my back, both legs and both arms. The arms and legs are numb all the time - on both sides to the same degree. More recently I've had trouble with balance and motor control (handwriting, typing). No real pain though.

I've had a neck MRI and xray, MRI showed "mild right forminal stenosis at C5-6, and at C6-7, disc ridge complex which slightly compresses the cord. Uncovertebral joint spurring and facet degeneration with sever bilateral formanial stenosis.

A neurosurgeon a week ago recommended ACDF - Anterior Cervical Decompression and Fusion. And down the road, possible lower back fusion. Most of what I understand is that cervical compression usually causes pain and numbness in the arms. I'm concerned where I have numbness in both arms, both legs and both sides of the back. And now balance issues and weakness. Is this just cervical myelopathy and normal?

I'm seeing other neurosurgeons next week to understand if this is all coming from my neck and ACDF will help, or if it's a combination of my neck and lower back issues.

Would love to hear from others who've had similar numbness and issues!?

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
ACDF C5-C7 - Aug 11, 2015
L5-S1 fusion - Oct 2015

• Sorry I can't be of more help but I am having similar issues and also have twins :) they're 4 now. Certainly didn't help the spine issues!

I'm currently waiting on an mri brain/spine. And trying to control the panic attacks about this in the interim.

From what I've read, your symptoms can def be related back to your spine but they'll be checking for other neurological causes as well.

Happy to chat if you ever want
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History