Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

JohnJJohn Posts: 964
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Chronic Pain

This has for me been a revelation as newbie’s we do not see or acknowledge any restriction we carry on with consummate delusion that we are normal and let anyone tell us different. Our pride drives us through this ignorance as we fluctuate from manic activity to total immobility, we think in our wisdom we are unique and devoid of the limitations of lesser mortals, we are driven, task orientated, and get the job done at all costs mostly to ourselves.

We consume medication in increasing volume to placate our legitimacy for having over-stretched our capacity, we are playing catch-up, hoping to reverse the passage of time and our own ignorance, the nearer we get to some reduction the higher the peak continues to rise. As night follows day we lay prostrate in our pain, having no acceptable reason how or why our condition has reached this sporadic peak other than the immeasurable activity we have just performed, we continue with the pendulum of opposing capacity and our Oprah moment with come.

I call it pain in the bank, I worked hard for it and am now enduring the stupidity of my actions, as a novice this no limit strategy did not work and as I have become more experienced the only person that endures this travesty is myself.

Pacing is my life now, my wants list has been reduced by half and my needs list has daily restriction on it also, it may now be called my can do list, I rest prior to the increase of pain and mornings for me are better, sleep as for most dramatically effects my ability to perform and I have to live within these restriction. As my physical capability diminishes that option of alternatives is restricted as a consequence and the decision has been taken for me, we are all frustrated by the things that we could do and will never do again, the acceptance of this change is hard and difficult and not without frustration anguish and loss. Developing better pacing strategies has and does take some effort and acceptance and daily evaluation, those accumulative over activities do increase our pain and restrict the availability of doing anything at all in the recovery stage which can be disproportionate to the little activity we gleaned and as consequence of doing a bit extra. A little extra does not equate to a little recovery, far from it.

I have been ably support by my close family who have taken some of the responsibility in doing some of the tasks I am now unable to do, and I thank them, they are supportive recipients of my restriction and every mindful of how not being able to do the family activities we once could, makes me feel and we are helping each other.

Keep pacing every day and less is more, be kind to yourself.

• :) there is no other way to develope a lifestyle other than by "pacing." one day never follows the next so it it impossible to have a constant rhythm to our lives. we can only hope that night will follow day as sleep remains elusive and makes for a strange bedfellow. my husband remains supportive and always kind as i struggle through, trying to find myself in all of this pain. i don't know where i will be led, but by taking each day a moment at a time i can have some sort of life and inner peace. each of these moments is buffered by medication. the trials and struggles of having pain make it impossible to live any other way. Jenny :)
  • I struggle with pacing every day and I will be the first to admit that it does not come easy for me. I dislike having to relinquish some of my independence and I struggle with that as well. I am trying to learn better, so that I don't have to suffer as much. As it was stated earlier, a little extra does not equal a little recovery. I am trying to let my body be my guide instead of having that "mind over matter" attitude. I used to try to tell myself that if I didn't mind, it didn't matter. That didn't work out very well. So every day is about learning the limitations of my pain and redefining life. Hard work sometimes.
  • I think my main problem is that I was unable to do things for such a long time, that I find it hard to scrape myself up and get back into daily living. Compound this with the fear of increased pain caused by increased activity and you get= frozen! I want to do better and I think about doing more, I even plan to do more the next day, but when morning comes around and I wasn't able to sleep the night before, I do nothing. I need to find it within myself to get motivated and get moving!!
  • John... I love reading your posts. They are always well thought out and really make me think.

Yes there was a lot of foolishness in my youth too. How I long for the days of blue skies, airplanes and the wind. I want so bad to go out and make a jump. But my wife and the reality of my life ground me as does the pain.

This discussion has been closed.