Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post operative MRI Report and understanding why my doctor's will not say anything

I'm new to this so hopefully someone can give me some insight. Where to start here we go. I had a ACDF Surgery on June 09th, 2015. that consisted of C5-6 6-7. After surgery everything felt like a hundred bucks no pain. Then about 4 weeks Iater the pain generated from my neck down my right arm and some on the left side. I called the surgeon who ordered a MRI and I saw him the next day. His response to my pain was that I have a lot of arthritis and bone spurs in my neck and that was the basis of our 7 minute visit. I did ask him about one section on the MRI Report and no response. That portion of the MRI states that C5-6 Prior cervical fusion. There is a residual right paracentral disc osteophyte with mass effect on the ventral C6 nerve root. That was one of the area's that was focused on in the surgery. The C6-7 area in the report states Cervical fusion. Residual broad-based posterior disc osteophyte asymeteric to the left. There is residual left greater than right neural foraminal stenosis. Okay those were both areas that my surgery was supposed to be focused on. So my question I guess is why does every doctor from Primary care to Pain Management to 2nd opinion Orthopedic surgeon . Avoid giving me a actual severity of the matter. The second opinion surgeon actually said the level above the C5-6 needs to be fused as well, and he asked me why didn't the surgeon get that disc? This has to be the most aggrevating situation. The biggest problem that I will have if I decided to have another surgery 4 month's after that one is the Department of Veteran Affairs paid for the surgery and they have already said thy would pay for the same surgeon to do surgery, but they must think I'm Crazy. Anyway the 1st surgeon did give me a couple of option's and one was posterior surgery, which the 2nd surgeon said that he could go back in anterior and the other option was injection's. The injection thing I will try this Tuesday, but I have already been told it will not resolve the problem. Anyway hopefully someone out there can give me some advice and what the MRI report actually means since I'm having such a difficult time getting a straight answer from any of the doctor's.

Bill Greenlee

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    There are no medical professionals on this forum.
    No member is allowed to comment on or give opinion on MRI or other testing results.

Please read forum rules.
    Thank you
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• TWynnBTTWynnB Posts: 265
    edited 08/10/2015 - 2:39 PM
    I'm a honestly surprised they did an MRI on you this soon out, and interpreted it with such precision. Normally there's artifact from your metal, and also from post operative changes.
    I had an MRI at 5 months out, and almost all of my axial changes (so the cross section) were said to be from artifact.

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• I find it surprising too. I am having problems as well but at five months after surgery, I am having a CT because the doctor felt it was too soon for MRI that would not be precise because of the amount of metal.
  • Well I'm a year and 5 months post surgery. The radiologist that interupted the MRI that was done only a month after surgery today was explaining to me how everything on that MRI looked great. When he said that the fusion was looking great it appears to be a solid fusion. I bite my tongue and just looked at him. It is near impossible for 2 fusions to take in one month. I did tell him that I will be having a revision surgery. It is so irritating that these guys local will lie to cover the other guys butt.
    Bill Greenlee